Green load bars.

RevJSorrells

Hi

As you add clips from the media list to the sequence line VP writes the data to the cache file and the auto generated project file and creates thumbnails at regular intervals along the clip. The progress of these events is shown by the green bar moving along the sequence as the preview is generated. Every time you make a change to the clip/s on the sequence line the data is re written to the cache and the green bar is regenerated.

Adding transitions between the clips generates an orange progress bar over the joins .

A problem associated with version 3.02 was that the procedure seemed to take a long time and editing was not possible while the preview was being regenerated. In version 3.04 (still a beta version) the process has been speeded up somewhat.

Nat

Every time you make a change to the clip/s on the sequence line the data is re written to the cache and the green bar is regenerated.

How can I turn off the caching ? When greenbar is not growing = caching didnt start for a while I can edit videos. I have 3.04.

So... I would like turn if off, why I need caching preview when it works ok without it ?

Hi

You can't turn off the cache as far as I am aware as it is an intregal part of the normal operation of VP.

The cache file is required to store a list of, and apparently, copies of the clips you have selected from your PC and placed on the media list. It also stores the generated thumbnails for the clips that are displayed on the sequence line as well as data related to transitions, splits etc. These data remain in the cache file when VP is closed down. The green progress bar shows that this storage process is under way and further changes to the sequence is prevented until it is complete. You can normally review your clips up to the point where the green bar is moving, but if it trys to play past this point you get the "Generasting Preview" message.

As you work, VP also creates a temporary project file containing the data required to rebuild your project in the event of a crash. The project file however can be saved in a more permanent fashion by the user as the vpj file. Although the vpj file can reassemble your project without the cache folder, it takes a lot longer as it has to visit and load up all the clips from the folders where they are stored on your PC, reassemble the cache file and then your project. If the cache file is already present the process is much faster.

It may be that, as version 3.04 has more video tracks etc. all of which can have their individual thumbnails lines, split positions, transitions and other data, the generation of the cache is far more complex and indeed, it can contain, even for a moderate project, hundreds of files. It could also be that the algorithm used to generate these data is not particularly efficient now, although it may have worked OK in version 2.41. (Just a thought.)

Nat

So videopad v3 is doing a lot of useless procedures and I can not edit video. Very sad :-(. The primary function of videopad is video cutting, not "online" presentation based on good preview which is cached on disk.

As you wrote:

the green progress bar shows that this storage process is under way and further changes to the sequence is prevented until it is complete.

Again, primary function of videopad is cutting, so I need future positions/time of same video, during duplication and cutting, not the past parts!! Past parts are good for final result, but this I can "run" at the end of my job. I need cut long video first so developers should focus on primary function of this program. Do somebody of developers try cut 30minutes video into 20 short small parts ??? In v2.41 I could have this done in 3 minutes, now it takes me 30 minutes, cos I have always building preview spam on screen :-(.

Do developers read this forum ? Do they know that there is big problem for people who are cutting videos daily ?