Version 3.04 comments

Nationalsolo

Hi.

Anybody know why, if you place a video clip with sound onto the sequence..remember the sound is linked to the video.... and then place an image or blank frame in front of it, the video is pushed along the sequence track as one would expect but the "attached" sound is left behind???

Surely the sound track should move with the video!.......It's not been unlinked.

However just to confuse matters...It subsequently behaves as though it IS linked, but in the position it got left behind in since if one now drags the video clip along the sequence the sound will move with it........albeit in the wrong place!

Is there an editing reason for this? If so I can't think what it can be.

Although V3.04 seems to have adressed the "Building Preview" problem...clip loading and thumbnail generation seem faster as well.., oddities like this, introduced since 2.41 have suddenly appeared.

Also. what was wrong with the Zoom feature in 2.41? It worked great and was pretty intuative..

In V 3.02 this effect was removed and had to be acheived with a blend of Crop and Motion..not so visually simple and requiring some experimentation. But now, in V3.04 presumably put out in response to criticisms related to speed, the Crop effect now only shows 1/4 of the frame and 1/4 of the reference rectangle. How come? Obviously a programming error introduced since 3.02. This does seem to show a degree of carelessness or lack of testing.

It's doesn't seem a lot of use to correct a version and then reissue it with new problems.

Anyway, I have sent in a couple of bug reports..............

Nat

Hi Nationalsolo,

The Zoom Effect in 2.41 allowed you to set a beginning and ending zoom position. 3.00 and later has video effect animation, so that you can set an arbitrary amount of key frames. You shouldn't need to use the Motion Effect for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOI_Skw6cqg

I've fixed the recent Crop Effect bug and it should be fine in the next version.

Please remember that version 3.04 was a beta version, so the idea is that we get feedback from customers before releasing it officially - you shouldn't expect it to work 100%.

Cnr-N@H, glad to hear this. I left Videopad, from disappointment with 3.04, but without keeping the beta idea in mind. After reading this thread I'm back. The Crop bug was one of my main complaints (although I still find the program as slow as ever and wish the transitions bug would get looked at).

Now, it was mentioned by you (I think) above...or on a different thread, that if one's clips are first moved into the preview window, then given both an IN and an OUT point, then the green arrow is used to drop them into the timeline sequence, that any transitions used between the clips will then work properly without the need for work arounds. SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

Tonight I made a short video using about 10 scenes, first marking them with proper IN and OUT poihts in the preview window, and then dropping them down into the timeline with the green arrow, one after the other. Then I added a 2 second cross fade between all the clips. Not a single one worked without freeze frames!!

So it still comes down to bad transitions, slow rendering (both preview and movie saving), and that Crop thing you fixed. Get all these things fixed and I'll be the first one to buy!! I'm not trying to be a pain here but we've all been waiting for a version that doesn't require work arounds.

Any idea when the next full release will come?

Hello Cnr-NCH

Thank you very much for your reply and for noting the fault with the "Crop" effect. Did you have a any comment about why the "linked" soundtrack was left behind when an image was placed earlier in the sequence?

Finally ( probably wont be <_< ), my point regarding the zoom feature was that in 2.41 it was easy to use and worked OK so why did you feel the need to change it? I think it should be left in.

In 3.04 there are no visuals if you open the zoom feature (found in transitions/more transitions...although "zoom" is not a transition) It also refers to two clips each with a pair of sliders. Not easy to use and doesn't give a zoom in the correct sense although a nice effect.

"Please remember that version 3.04 was a beta version, so the idea is that we get feedback from customers before releasing it officially - you shouldn't expect it to work 100%."

I understand that :) .

Re Crossfade..and despite what Dougie has found, Using the in/out points (OUT for Clip 1.....IN for clip 2) the transition is perfect. The secret is to make the points at a distance equal to more than half the duration of the crossfade from the end of the clips. I have done this with shots of moving traffic and each clip plays throughout the transition.

Nat

Nat said..."The secret is to make the points at a distance equal to more than half the duration of the crossfade from the end of the clips." Believe me, I want this to work, but it just won't. So, what you are saying here is that the Out and In points should be....ah, so lets say the transition is a 2 second crossfade. So I add 1 second extra to the in and out points of the clips? I tried that the first time you mentiojed it and again a few minutes ago. I can't see in the video above what's being done. When I try it, it just makes each clip 1 second longer and the transitions still have freeze frames. Clearly, I'm not ujderstanding what's being said here. No problem admitting that. Can you explain it with a bit more detail?

Hi Dougie

"ah, so lets say the transition is a 2 second crossfade. So I add 1 second extra to the in and out points of the clips?"

You make the OUT point (Blue) in CLIP 1 a little earlier

You make the IN point for CLIP 2 (Red) a little later.

In effect you are cutting off a little more from the ends of each clip to provide enough "movie" from each to create the transition.

I just posted with a detailed step by step as to what I do in 2.41. and 3.0x

http://nch.invisionz...rved-up-on-426/

(Go to the bottom)

Nat