how to make widescreen

benat

• 4 weeks later...

Dear borate, I'm new with very little practice (I do not even know what means "esoftware").

But I have probably a similar problem:

- There is a video on Youtube - with dark stripes on the left and right;

- I would like to stretch the video horizontally on the screen;

- I've been through VideoPad / 3.02 mutated (exported) this video as a "widescreen" (TV / Youtube).

But all my efforts ended in failed. (:

Maybe I will hear from someone any idea?

HI Vlad

You cannot stretch your film as this would deform the image. (i.e. squash it) and VP will not allow this.The image (the picture) will stay with the same aspect ratio as the original.

However, if you want widescreen (16:9) and eliminate the side bars, you should crop your image to widescreen (16:9). This means you will lose some of the picture from either the top or bottom (or both) depending on how you position the orange rectangle in the setup for the "Crop" effect.

VP will now fill the frame from side to side without any distortion or side bars.

Nat.

• 10 months later...

I do a lot of reediting of professional movies. Many of those are shot more broadly than 16x9, and thus have black bars top and bottom. If I want to do any cropping, is there a way to add the black bars again so that the shot appears consistent with the original cut?

Hi

If you mean "Can I make a standard clip look the same as the broad clip" then as it stands the answer is NO.

You can however,use the Crop function to get the same aspect ratio and produce bands at the top and bottom but it will result in you losing the top and bottom of the frame.. Use Crop without forcing a different aspect ratio and pull the top or bottom of the frame in so the aspect ratio is the same as your elongated clip and then drag the orange frame to best enclose the subject.

You can also use the Scale effect.to acheive a similar result by reducing the Y% value on its own. The downside is that, although you will retain the full frame, your image will flatten as a result.

Nat

@Nationalsolo: Thanks for the reply, Nat. I'll go do some testing before asking more questions. . . .

In the meantime--what is up with this site's webform??? It constantly fails to register key-strokes when I try typing it right here, but if I try to type it first in Word or Wordpad, and then copy-and-paste, the webform refuses the paste! What the frig??????????

@Nationalsolo: Um . . . what is the "Scale" function? I immediately discovered that I can free-crop new black bars, but is there a precise way I can ensure my new black bars are exactly the same width (thickness?) as the bars of the original widescreen clips? Thanks again! (By the way, another bug in this forum: I tried adding the URL for a movie prologue I created, so you can see the different aspect ratios and how I've been creatively using VP, but the webform wouldn't let me paste the web address--yes, even using the webform's own link button.)

HI

"@Nationalsolo: Um . . . what is the "Scale" function? "

If you activate (select) a clip on the timeline and click the down arrow to the right of the Video Effects tab on the tool bar you should see the Scale effect. Selecting this will offer you the choice of changing the aspect ratio of the clip by using two sliders....Scale X% and Scale Y%.

By changing the position of these you can alter the aspect ratio of the clip or image without causing it to be cropped. This means the image will, in effect get squashed or stretched according to your settings. (Contrary to the impression I gave in an earlier post :huh: but there it was in a different context.)

"...is there a precise way I can ensure my new black bars are exactly the same width (thickness?) as the bars of the original widescreen clips?"

If you free-crop your frame I think you will have to use trial and error to obtain the exact amount of crop so it matches your wide screen clips, but you can record the X% and Y %s when you get it correct so any subsequent "ordinary" clips will match. However, if you know the actual aspect ratio of the wide screen clips or the size in pixels beforehand you can easily calculate the X and Y values and enter them directly.

Nat

When you say "the down arrow to the right of the Video Effects tab," are you actually referring to a newer version of VP? That doesn't seem to appear anywhere in 2.41, which is what I'm still committed to until NCH comes out with something that's actually superior.

Hi

Ahhhh.....Version 2.41 does not have the down arrow I mentioned. This applies to VP 3.xx versions. Also there is no "Scale" effect in this version or keyframe options to animate the effect.

So.....you will have to use the "Crop" option :unsure: .....which also doesn't have sliders and digital values. :(

On the plus side it does work faster :)

Nat