freeDB Internet Server Access

hal9000_2001

• 3 weeks later...

are you using a firewall on your computer? we access the server using port 8880, so if your firewall blocks it then you will be unsuccessful. The ability to access the freedb website does not reflect your ability to access the server.

are you using a firewall on your computer? we access the server using port 8880, so if your firewall blocks it then you will be unsuccessful. The ability to access the freedb website does not reflect your ability to access the server.

I'm having the same problem. How do I get around the firewall issue?

• 2 months later...
Guest Robert Fernando
I'm having the same problem. How do I get around the firewall issue?

How do i configure zone alarm 4 free version to work with express rip 1.34 ?

I have added it to the list of authorised programs in zone alarm 4, but still get unable to connect to freedb.

pings to freedb.org return an active host reply

thanks

Robert

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chuxter

When I first downloaded the free version (2 days ago), I was able to access the freeDB several times (about 20). Then I started getting the error message. I waited a few hours and it worked again for a few times. Then the error message again. I assumed that it was down for maintenance or additions? In a few hours I was again able to access it. After a couple of successful accesses, it again was down though. I have now been unable to access the freeDB for about 18 hours.

Can someone please help me?

1) just to let you all know, we link to the freedb central server which redirects any requests to the first available mirror server. sometimes the central server is down though unfortunately. we will see what we can do about improving access to the servers.

2) both free and commercial versions of express rip have the same features, the difference is you can carry on using the non-commercial features in the free version indefinitely.

3) if your email was rejected, please copy and paste the text of the error your email client returned into a post. we do not deliberately reject emails, you don't have to be a paying customer to contact us. if we were microsoft, you would need to be of course, but we are not microsoft.

I'm having a similar problem, only my is related only to specific cds: Rammstein - Reise Reise (which IS in the freedb.org database), Duran Duran - Rio, "wham - The Final, Inxs - Kick etc...

The strange thing is that if I try with one of these then I can not connect (even if am anline at freedb.org at the same time), but with any other cd I can...

If I then gather info from a different cd and it wotks, I will emmidiately get the error-message when I try with one of the above mentioned..???

Best regards

Bo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wacked Out

I think the problem is that the software accesses the Russian Site at http://freedb.freedb.org not www.freedb.org or us.freedb.org so even if they are running, you cant get info. If anyone finds a way to change the target site, that would be very helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest EddieF

I have exactly the same issue as chuxter; installed yesterday, RIP'ed some albums Ok with name/tiltles retreived from freeDB then in the evening Express RIP couldn't communicate with FfreeDB anymore. Still can't this morning - doesn't seem a reliable solution :(

Maybe the suggesiton to be able to point to different FreeDB URL's in the setup may be useful??

Guest EddieF

I just ran an Ethereal packet trace on the connection and what I see is that the FreeDB server responds with ALL the relevant information (see text dump of the last response packet below) - there is no issue in communication between Express RIP and FreeDB although this is what it reported when I took this trace!!!

Seems like maybe this is a bug (or something) in Express RIP (I note it did not do a TCP ACK of this last packet)...

210 rock e00e160e CD database entry follows (until terminating `.')..# xmcd..#..

# Track frame offsets:..#.183..#.22325..#.39565..#.61370..#.79368..#.103623..#.1

23605..#.137685..#.156978..#.178183..#.194060..#.216395..#.237733..#.255605..#..

# Disc length: 3608 seconds..#..# Revision: 7..#Processed by: cddbd v1.5.1PL2 Copyright © Steve Scherf et al...# Submitted via: CDDB.pm 1.12.

.#..DISCID=e00e160e..DTITLE=Sheryl Crow / SherylCrow..TTITLE0=Maybe Angels..TTITLE1=A Change Would Do You Good..TTITLE2=Home..TTITLE3=Sweet Rosalyn..TTITLE4=IfIt Makes You Happy..TTITLE5=Redemption Day..TTI

TLE6=Hard To Make A Stand..TTITLE7=Everyday Is AWinding Road..T

TITLE8=Love Is AGood Thing..TTITLE9=Oh Marie..TTITLE10=Supersta

r..TTITLE11=The Book..TTITLE12=Ordinary Morning..TTITLE13=Free M

an..EXTD=..EXTT0=..EXTT1=..EXTT2=..EXTT3=..EXTT4=..EXTT5=..EXTT6

=..EXTT7=..EXTT8=..EXTT9=..EXTT10=..EXTT11=..EXTT12=..EXTT13=..P

LAYORDER=..

• 1 year later...

hello

i ve the same problem- " the operation failed when trying to access the free db internet server - check you have port 8880 open for this application and try again later -

perhaps someone can tell me the exact adress of the freedb internet sever to name it my security system.

thanks

paul

I was troubleshooting this error last night and found that it does not have anything to do with port 8880.

It has to do with the CD and/or freeDB. Here is my test scenario and findings:

1. All music CD’s I used are originals “out of the box”.

2. The first couple of CDs ripped OK.

3. Then I received the error message.

4. I could continue to rip but the software did not return the artist, album and track information.

5. I then reloaded one of the CDs that ripped OK (without the error) and everything was good again (no error).

So, this tells me that ER or freeDB is not recognizing or finding the CD information and cannot return the values to the application.

The error message is misleading.

I sent an email to the vendor, let’s see what they say.

I received a quick (next day) response from the vendor, NCH Swift Sound – impressive, seeing that I do not have a technical support contract.

The reply is: Thanks, the port error message is just the not too smart computer guessing what happened. I'll submit this as a bug for you. Regards, David - NCH Swift Sound

Let’s see if they impress us by fixing the bug.

• 3 weeks later...

<_<

I tried this excellent application with the same error message

By trying different CD's from various artists I found the following:

All the original CD's I used managed to get a reply from the freedb website

Copies often worked, but not always

I suspect that what has been said by others on their replies that the error message is misleading, is true

I have tried another application which also accesses freedb, that didn't always work

In fact Windows Media Player doesn't always work either

I would be interested to know what others have found when using original CD's and copies

• 1 month later...
<_<

I tried this excellent application with the same error message

By trying different CD's from various artists I found the following:

All the original CD's I used managed to get a reply from the freedb website

Copies often worked, but not always

I suspect that what has been said by others on their replies that the error message is misleading, is true

I have tried another application which also accesses freedb, that didn't always work

In fact Windows Media Player doesn't always work either

I would be interested to know what others have found when using original CD's and copies

Hi there, having the same error report only mine is happening with original CD's a couple: pat benatar "crimes of passion","Precious time","get nervous"

the ones named above are the original first releases from somewhere around 1982.

The very first one i bought "in the heat of the night" has no problems

It becomes even better, the title album "wide awake from dreamland" from the dual disc set of pat benatar(live from earth/wide awake in dreamland) is downloaded correct, the exact same title from the single album version gives the error?????

Total playing time of the discs is exactly the same ie:50:26, the only difference i can find is that the track time between the dics differ a bit ie:"wide awake in dreamland" on the dual disc version is 4:58 on the single album 5:00

Greetings Pieter

• 11 months later...
I received a quick (next day) response from the vendor, NCH Swift Sound – impressive, seeing that I do not have a technical support contract.

The reply is: Thanks, the port error message is just the not too smart computer guessing what happened. I'll submit this as a bug for you. Regards, David - NCH Swift Sound

Let’s see if they impress us by fixing the bug.

as it's a few months now, did you get any update ?

• 13 years later...
  • 11 months later...