Project Backup No Good

Dazzray

I just upgraded to 4.10. I've been working for many days building a video.. I did frequent "Save Project File As .." along the way (always to the same filename). Today, I made some edits I didn't like, so decided to open the saved project file to undo them, and got "The provided file might be damaged. Do you want to load it anyway?". I noticed there are a number of files in the folder where I save the project named "project-name_backup(n)". I don't know what created those files, but judging by the creation date/time of them, they were likely made when I did the "Save Project File As", or were automatic backups done by VP. I've tried opening several of those too, with the same results.

I answer "yes" to the error msg to go ahead and load the save file. It fills in the media bins with the clips, and lists the 4 sequences I had, but the sequences are empty.

At this point, I'm livid because it looks like I've lost many days of work. Any ideas?

Hi

If you use "Save Project As" and you call your file xyz then VP will save a vpj file called xyz.vpj

If you then use "Save Project As" and use the same name (which remains as the default) you will get the prompt to overwrite the first file. This would normally delete the original file and create a new one with the same name, but this is not what you want to happen and the prompt is not strictly needed. As you trying to use the same name the overwriting does not happen as you you are "Saving As" ;so the file is re-saved alongside the first as xyz_backup.vpj

Do it again and the file is saved as xyz_backup(1).vpj and so on and this is what youare seeing.

Use just "Save" and the overwrite will delete the file and use the same name.

All these various backups - some including several sequences loaded the project without any problems at my end so yours would seem to have been corrupted in some way.

Do your sequences just show the clapperboard icon in the bin?

Nat

Yes, the sequence bin shows clapperboards.

When I did the "Save As" to the same filename, it did ask if I wanted to overwrite the file, as you said. Normally, when a Windows process asks if you want to overwrite a file, and you say yes, it does just that... overwrites the file. That's why I didn't know where the "_backup()" files came from. Seems odd.

At any rate, I still don't know why the backups are all unusable, and I don't have the project loaded; so, it appears I've lost all my work. Not a happy customer.

I opened one of the latest "_backup(n)" vpj files (after answering "yes" to "do you want to try to load it anyway?"). It loaded the media bins, except the sequence bins, which showed four sequences with the clapper board. All four sequences were empty. I brought a clip into the preview, tried to place it on a sequence, but nothing happened. Apparently, I can't even rebuild my sequences from scratch using the clips in the bins (including many stabilized clips). It looks like everything will have to be recreated from original clips.

I have no idea how these backups (all 27 of them!) could have been corrupted, since nothing unusual occurred during my session, other than upgrading to 4.10, and have no other issues with the computer. Even if something had happened, one wouldn't expect ALL the backups to be damaged. I can open older vpj files from different projects ok. It's just this current video project that is no good.

Apparently, the worst thing I could have done was to upgrade to 4.1 while in the middle of creating a project.

NCH, YOU HAVE ONE REALLY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER HERE.

Hi

Although I can reload the projects OK..There is some sort of bug here.

My first "Save Project File as" was "untitled.vpj" as I took the default title.

On opening the desktop with the quick launch toolbar icon next to the Start button (Vista) the desktop appeared with the normal "untitled.vpj" icon. So far all normal.

On returning to VP (which remained open,) I resaved the project "As" a few more times...

The desktop, when pulled up now had NO project icons on display at all. although I expected Backup(1); backup(2) etc.

They were there (somewhere) as back in VP they displayed in the selection window when "Save Project File As" was selected...

They only way to make these files appear was to restart vista.

Is this a VP bug and can anybody else get it to happen?????

Nat

@Dazzray:

The backup files are in fact the files you supposed overwritten while you chose "save as". You got a backup file each time you "save as" on it, and the number at the end of the backup file name increased by 1.

It seems the project is corrupted at some point. Try open the earlier backup file since they never get delete since the first save as.

I'm more interesting in investigate how the project was corrupted. Could you please share your project on DropBox/Google Drive. We might be able to fix it up for you. If the media files are big, please just upload the vpj file (the latest one).

If you can find the backup file which just before you upgrading to 4.10, please share it to us too.

@Nat:

This is because Windows Exporter didn't refresh. Just press F5 will refresh the file list. They used to have "Refresh" on the menu back in XP...

C_major,

Only one of the backup files for this project is good (Mt Tom Peregrines_backup.vpj), but it's so old it's useless to me; I don't know for sure if it was created before I upgraded to 4.10, because the file was created on the day I updated, but I think it was created just before updating.

When I open the others in VP, the media bins fill, as I said. The Video Track1 and Audio Track1 do not appear at the bottom of the screen, and the sequences are empty. If I click on a clip and bring it into the clip preview, then click the green arrow to place it on a sequence, nothing appears to happen, the video and audio tracks still do not appear at all on the Timeline or Storyboard, the sequence preview says the sequence is empty; but the message "Did Action: drop clips to track" appears briefly in the lower left corner of the screen. If I drag a clip from the bin directly to the timeline where the Video and Audio tracks should be, then the Video and Audio tracks appear and the clip is there on the timeline. I can then bring the next clip into the preview and drop it down to the sequence as usual.

I'm not much of a Dropbox user, but I uploaded the latest vpj file (Mt Tom Peregrines_backup(25).vpj); hopefully you can access it at https://www.dropbox....p (25).vpj?dl=0

The old backup that does load (Mt Tom Peregrines_backup.vpj) is at https://www.dropbox....p (25).vpj?dl=0

I did not upload the media files, they're too large and too many.

Update:

We've found the bug and fixed it.

This bug occurs when loading a project includes text clip with multiple lines from early version to 4.08 and later. The project will be corrupt when you save it in the newer version.

The next version will be free from this problem and also be able to load the corrupted files and fix them.

@Dazzray:

We'll contact you and send you free upgrade for the next version. For now please try the modified project to continue your work.

Thank you for help us finding the issue and sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi,

Yes, I was able to load the file, and it looks good so far. I will continue with the project later today.

So, should I avoid using multi-line text clips for now?

Thank you very much for your help and quick resolution of the problem, I was not looking forward to having to start all over again!

• 3 weeks later...