How to have Video Editor regenerate its preview of the sequence?

mjremijan

Greetings.

I've been working the past few days on a project and even upgraded and bought version 16.04 running on Windows 11.

My problem is that while working inside Video Editor, the preview of the sequence kept getting out of sync. For example, I would make a cut and delete a section of the clip, but after doing this the audio/video would be out of sync after the cut. Because of this I kept recreating the project over and over again during the past few days.

Today, I finally decided just to export the video and see what happens. To my surprise (and delight) the video exported perfectly. Whereas in Video Editor the audio/video is still out of sync, in the exported video, everything is fine.

Now this is OK because this was my final edit so I can live with it. But, if I had to make more edits to the file, the audio/video being out of sync would be a big problem.

So, any thoughts about this? I don't know why the audio/video is getting out of sync in the first place just making a simple cut and delete of a section of a clip on the timeline. But when it does happen, is there way to force Video Editor to regenerate the preview from scratch to get it back in sync?

Thanks! 

• borate changed the title to How to have Video Editor regenerate its preview of the sequence?

If the files are both audio and video (linked) then sync should be retained.  Share a project that does this and someone will experiment.

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  Right-click the file and click SHARE. When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

No need to recreate your work if you Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  The the project can be restored to the time of the back up simply by loading the VPJ file.

I'm not sure, but it might be the same problem that I have with version 16.x (older versions didn't have this issue as far as I know). I put some clips on the timeline, made some cuts and - that's important - changed the clip speed of some clips. After that, video and audio were completely out of sync in the preview (export works). The only thing you can do is to close the project, go to the Options -> Disk -> Clear Unused Cache Files. Then reload your project, video and audio should be in sync again. But there's a snag to it: After some more cuts, sync gets lost again...

I'm still analyzing this problem, maybe it was just coincidence.

You said "If the files are both audio and video (linked) then sync should be retained".  That may be the important bit I'm missing. For this project, I wanted to get rid of some background noise (like people coughing, etc.) so I cut, unlinked that audio, and deleted it and did a copy and replace of audio from another part of the clip. When I do this, you are saying that I should re-link the audio afterwards to keep things in sync?

You can try to relink.  This will pull A/V back into sync.

Also there's a grouping option, which may or may not help your issue...  Select the video and audio tracks, then right-click and Group Selected Clips.

If either audio or video are edited independently, sync won't be maintained.

Confirm that the video driver and Direct-X are current...  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/1772.html

Dangerfreak might want to upload a project for testing.

• 2 weeks later...

I JUST started using VideoPad last night and I am seeing the exact same issues...split/delete causing audio and video (in preview) to get out of sync.  It's behaving better this afternoon, but if I start seeing that again, I will try the "save & reload" to see if that resolves the wonkiness. 

I think my problem was related to my workflow involved un-attaching the audio from the video in order to copy & paste audio sections around. It seems like from the responses above that when you unattach audio that additional splitting and moving things around will cause things to go out of sync. I think the solution is to re-attach audio/video when done, but I haven't tested this in depth.

I was working this weekend on adding video effects (speciifcally exposure effect) and when I added that the video preview inside Video Editor got completely messed up. Not sure why. Seems like Video Editor was a lot more stable in the past.

Adding an effect - unless, perhaps, it's a speed change - won't alter sync.  For protection...

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Adding the exposure effect messed up the preview in the timeline in Video Editor. After adding the effect, the audio was correct but the video shown in the preview on the timeline was from a completely different part of the video that had actually been cut out of the timeline previously.

Tough to pin down without analyzing the project.  Suggest that VP be closed then relaunched without loading the project.

Go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  Then load.  This should clear out possible cache corruption.

Hi, I seem to be having this same problem too. I'm a new user just evaluating the software and already running into issues.

The first day everything seemed to be fine. Not sure what I did but then suddenly everything got out of sync the next day. I have a clip that I split and add different portions to my sequence. The audio plays the correct portion but the video shows a completely different portion. 

I tried recreating a completely new project from scratch, still using the same source files and just tried cutting 2 clips to add and right away started having the same problem. I've tried the clear unused cache, but the issue is I want to clear the current in use cache. 

This sounds like a pretty bad bug that needs to be fixed. Hard to believe you can't do something so basic in an editing program.

As the OP suggested, is there a way to force it to re-render the preview?

Because no one contributing to this thread has submitted their project for analysis, as outlined above,  it's tough to tell what's going on.

Did you trim the clips in the bin (top-left) prior to placing them on the timeline, or were they trimmed on the TL itself?

Suggest now that you install this release, and check back with your results.  Ignore any virus warnings.

I trimmed it in the clip preview window using the set start and set end buttons then clicked the Add button to add to my sequence. 

As OP mentioned, exporting to video will actually produce the correct result.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to come back to this thread because I am again doing very simple cutting of videos with transitions between them and when I play the sequence preview in Video Editor, the audio & video is clearly out of sync. This is driving me nuts because I've used Video Editor for years and have never had these problems. I will follow the steps posted on Feb 13th and put an example on a cloud share.

What version is being used?  Look at the bottom-left corner of the window.

Yes, do upload your project for analysis.  Just follow the four steps above and, if using Google Drive, don't forget to change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

6 hours ago, borate said:

What version is being used?  Look at the bottom-left corner of the window.

Yes, do upload your project for analysis.  Just follow the four steps above and, if using Google Drive, don't forget to change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

A bit of a false alarm here. Unfortunately, I can't upload an image. But what I discovered after restarting Video Editor is that I had 3 audio/video tracks with the video of the affected segment on track 1 and the audio on track 3. I have no idea how that happened, but once I started the sequence over and made sure the audio/video were linked on the same track, it was fine.