Frame timing issues

Pete31684

As previouisly reported, when using 30 fps files, VP seems to have nothing but trouble. It took a few hundred versions (that really isn't an exaggeration) for single frame stepping to finally work properly. But adding things like timers, stopwatches etc never works. They always lock up when frame stepping forwards, and usually show the wrong figure when stepping backwards.

How difficult is it to make a processor count properly?

Hi Pete,

That's because on sequence preview next frame will stop at the closest frame on any track. Say if you have two clips with different speed on two tracks, you are getting some thing like this:

Track A:  1     2     3     4     ...

Track B:  1    2    3    4    ...

Since the frames are not aligned on the timeline, the next frame start from the beginning in the mixed sequence is something like this:

A(1)+B(1) A(1)+B(2) A(2)+B(2)  A(2)+B(3) A(3)+B(3) ....

So that's why the number is not jumping every time you click 'Next Frame'.

This is not an issue since VideoPad will insert and delete frames at the right position depend on user settings when export.

Hope that make sense.

It would be nice if that was the problem. And it would indeed make perfect sense (for anyone mad enough to try to use variable frame rate). But it isn't the actual issue.

I am using a single track, just one. 30 fps. It is the only clip in the media bin, and appears once in the timeline.

When adding a (for example) stopwatch, it will single step forwards one or two frames, then locks up. It simply won't move any further. When moving backwards, it doesn't lock up, but it does display the wrong numbers on every third frame.

Ok, so it's a programmatically generated video clip.

I suppose we can call it whatever we want, but it still doesn't work. It locks up when you try to single frame step forwards. It displays the wrong time when single stepping backwards.

Please try it instead of denying there is an issue.

How would fixing the frame-step issue eliminate the need to create each stopwatch?

In the video above, stepping appears to be working correctly with that object.  Tested repeatedly in v13.67.  That video wasn't made with a apng overlay.

Are we at cross purposes here?

One can add a stopwatch, that's it, done. Takes about 3 seconds. It will count for hours and display the elapsed time on the screen. But it doesn't work for single stepping. It just locks up going forwards, and displays the wrong numbers going backwards.

I don't see any other way to duplicate this other than manually creating 54,000 frames.

Are you saying the stopwatch works for you?

EDIT: Ah, you're suggesting creating a stopwatch, exporting that as a video, then using that as a clip and overlaying it? I think. It's just that you said "typewriter effect" so I assumed you meant "typewriter effect."

Edited by Pete31684

Perhaps there is a communication disconnect here.  Yes, it steps.  Can't say whether the numbers are 'wrong.'

This video is the middle of a 22-minute clip with stopwatch overlay for its entirety.

Even if this had failed to step, exporting the watch (from a blank sequence), then using the apng as the overlay would be quick, and seemingly solve the issue.

I've done some more checking and installed it on Win 10, it's still buggy, but in a slightly different way. You can see it in your last video. Look at the VP cursor position. It displays 00, 33, 66, 67, 00, etc.

That's obviously wrong in that the 66 shouldn't exist. The result is four steps every 100ms instead of three.

On Win 8.1 (two different machines) it just locks up going forwards, and displays the wrong numbers going backwards.

Try the apng route instead.  Beyond that it appears that this is just the way it is - for now.

Step the original bin clip (no apng), whether it's been overlaid on the timeline or not, and the increment is .100, as shown below.

Stepping the timeline gives varying results, seemingly related to the nature of the video clip.

• borate changed the title to Frame timing issues
  • 3 weeks later...

Start with a 30fps clip. Add it to the timeline.

Add a stopwatch, I tried milliseconds.

Single frame stepping "sort of" works in that it will step, but you get four frames per hundred milliseconds instead of the 3 it should be.

Enable "Show Previous and Next Frames". Now it just locks up when trying to frame step forwards.

1 hour ago, borate said:

It's my understanding that this is the nature of how the animation module works.

Shouldn't that read "how the animation module doesn't work"?

But if broken is the best it's going to get, then I guess I can't say anything else.