Can't move audio clips on a track or between tracks

JeffP

This is recent, since I installed V11.64, which I only did because the version I just upgraded to (latest) put too big a load on my system. Jittery etc. I was using a very old version, 6.1, and it was fantastic. No problems at all.

But this issue in 11.64 with moving clips is a project killer.

The problem is that I simply can't drag a clip anywhere on the track. Once it is placed on the track it is in that position for good. I've tried the 'shift' and 'alt' buttons while dragging but neither work. I also can't drag between tracks. It won't drag anywhere at all. It can only be deleted and inserted again.

This is a killer because I can't line up part of that audio clip with anything on another track. And placing it correctly initially is impossible because the point in the audio clip that needs to line up is within the clip, not at the beginning. Even trying to place the start of the clip is an issue. I have to try and line up the cursor with the point and that is almost impossible, unless I zoom it hugely. If I'm off by just a bit I have to delete and try again.

This is so frustrating and I beggingly hope someone has an answer. Sorry, I can't share the project due to its sensitivity.

-0-

I worked out what is happening. If any video track is locked, and I mean any video track, you can't move any audio clip, even if the audio isn't linked to a video clip. In my project not one audio clip is connected to a video clip. But they still all get locked if I lock a video clip. It's as if they are connected and the audio tracked is locked, sort of, as you can still delete and add clips to the track.

So I do have a workaround, but surely this functionality isn't intended.

Yes, that behavior changed some time ago - whether by intent is not known?  It's been reported.

Just came upon a way to accomplish what you want...

Unlink the clip.  Drag its audio to another track.  Lock the clip.  Now audio can be dragged independently.