Version 13.28 suddenly using a ton of resources.

vincent2313

Videopad has always been a bit of a resource hog but since I installed v13.28 it is always using 100% of my CPU. Makes it very difficult to get anything done. I admit my computer is a monster but several versions before I never saw anything remotely like this. Are there setting that I can change to help?

Three thoughts...

What are the PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

Install this release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Share a project where you see this usage and someone will compare it with their system.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz   3.10 GHz

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - 4 GB (Total available graphics 12266 Mb

RAM - 16 GB

I installed the linked software and it didn't change anything. The CPU usage is nearly 100% and editing is almost impossible. If I wait for the video to completely load (10 minutes until the green line completely fills) It becomes a little better but still anything I do seems to require a lot of CPU to proceed. When I quit the program it takes about 5 minutes for the computer to get back to normal.

I also have to go to the temp directory and delete the files in "VideoPadSoundCache" directory. If not they just keep mounting up and literally take GBs of disk space.

Let's take a look at the project, per the instructions above.  That's the best way to get a handle on issues.

If source files are very high-def, lengthy, or H265 (HEVC) encoded, consider Proxy Editing, as described in the 'sticky'  post above.

This common NLE practice uses smaller files during editing, substantially freeing up resources and cache load.  When editing is complete, the original files are substituted, if necessary.

A lower export resolution, say HD 1080, might save time and look very good on PC monitors.

Exporting has not been an issue. Once the file is edited the export sometimes starts a little slow but after about .5% it goes as it used to. All import/export file space is SSD and there is 300+ GB of free space. I almost always export HD 1080. I was not having any problems before v13.24. I installed 13.27 and 13.28 since with no improvement. The version provided by your link appears to be the same version 13.28 that I had already tried.

Good info.

But, once again, the path to analysis and a fix is to share the project.  This can be private via a Personal Message to me.  Click the envelope at the top-right of this forum.

Here's a beta release you can try.  Or reinstall an earlier release from here.  Ignore any virus warnings.

If it's working well for you, stick with it.  Even if unlicensed, newer releases can always be test driven, and will be full-featured during the trial period.

The latest 64-bit release is here.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

I found an old version and installed v13.07. This removed the problem of 100% CPU usage. CPU useage never seemed to go above 85% and editing easy as before. Then I tried the Beta version that you linked (v13.30) and it seemed to work better than v13.28. I still took 98% CPU but suddenly there is another app running with it aacenc3.exe. It doesn't take much resource but definitely is actuated with VideoPad. Then I tried reinstalling v13.28 that was giving me all the editing problems and taking up 100% resources and it still does. Editing is almost impossible. I have gone back t v13.30 and it seems to be working OK for now even though it uses a lot of resources. I will continue with it unless he editing issues come back. If so I will go back to good old v13.07.

A recent thread elicited this response...

"Video processing is computational intensive. We do intend to reach 100% usage of both CPU and GPU to maximize performance when necessary computation need to be done.

We aware of overheating issue on some older CPUs but we do not want to compromise performance which we think it's more important and apply to every user.

If overhearing become an issue, I think you should shutdown the machine and let it cool down for a while."

Edited by c_major

The full thread...

https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/36912-videopad-and-only-videopad-raises-my-cpu-temperature-to-dangerous-levels/?do=findComment&comment=97837