Quality

allenroyboy

I just downloaded the unlicensed non-commercial home use only version.  I am NOT impressed with the quality!  There is no way I would buy it unless the licensed version is of better quality.  I tried VHS to MP4 and the quality is poor.  certainly not good enough to play on any computerized system.  What's up?

When you export your video, there are several settings that control the output quality, see screenshot: https://imgbox.com/Nszc5gaz

Select the settings that are adequate for you and the quality you want to achieve.

My personal setting always is "Default quality" for video and audio, that means, that the output quality is equal to the input quality. This usually leads to big file sizes, that's why I use a video compressor after rendering (this one: https://handbrake.fr , great freeware). This might be circumstantial, but the result is worth the effort.

There is no difference in quality between the licensed and unlicensed releases.

Videopad export is fine at the defaults.

There are numerous resolution and quality settings, as Dangerfreak illustrates here.

Export won't improve the original, yet won't be degraded at all if the project meets LOSSLESS export specs.

Preview is of lower resolution.  But if switched to full screen the display will be high-def, in most cases.

Submit some samples for review.   Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

I have home movies from 70s and 80s,--- VHS and Super8 video.  

When I use a direct VHS to DVD machine the quality is quite good. But when I try to digitize it the VHS, it is always worse than the direct to DVD way.  it sems to me that it should be better.

I've also tried to do some of the protected VHS using a device that was supposed to ignore the protection , but there are always blank spots in Video and music.

I took an MP4 and saved it as a WMV or AVI.  and the speech is always out of sync.

Is it possible to capture the signal in other than MP4?

Allen Roy

Screenshot 2023-04-09 230114.png

This is the AVI, as seen in the MPC-BE player.

The AVI has some freezes but appears to be in sync throughout in Videopad

We'd have to see the original to determine whether VHS -> AVI degraded the video.

Screenshot 2023-04-09 232741.png         This is a screen capture from MPC-BE of the Videopad mp4 export.

Effects enhancements could be made, of course, but the most limiting factor is the poor quality of the original.

I'm wondering if cpu speed and windows version may be a problem.

One computer was a vista using an AMD dual core.  

The one above was a Win7 upgraded to Win10  with AMDF dfual-core at 1 Gig.

In both cases the sound is out of sync with the picture when exported to AVI or WMV.

Share the mp4 and someone will check it.

But if you made the AVI above from the mp4, then there doesn't seem to be an export problem as it's in sync here.

Click the blue Default Quality/Filesize link and try the MPEG4 encoder.   image.png

What is  MPC-BE?   i need to learn more ancronyms...  :)

I deleted the mp4......  sigh.  

The picture seems  good, but I don't know why the video and audio have breaks in them, 1 to 2 to 5 to 11 seconds long.  and sometimes the video and audio stutter.  i.e.  they repeat the same .5 secs over and over several times.  And the audio often lags the video.

SUCCESS!!!  I switched to my newest laptop.  4-core, 2.2 Ghz .  video is great. given the source.  And the audio has no issues.  

I'm certain that the bad resulltes before, were due to lack of speed to handle all the input data.

Thanks for your help and being patient with me...

Allen