Separating Voice and Music?

patrick@casbs.stanford.edu

This sort of filtration is possible but not recommended... You'll not get very high digital quality outputs and to my personal knowledge WavePad itself can't do this but if you want to give it a try I'll post something back here for you soon.

Thanks for your reply. I think for now we can live with the little music that we have in our file. We might try a simple low pass filter set at 3 KHz but I don't know yet what the result will sound like. Is this what you were thinking?

This sort of filtration is possible but not recommended... You'll not get very high digital quality outputs and to my personal knowledge WavePad itself can't do this but if you want to give it a try I'll post something back here for you soon.

• 2 weeks later...

even though this sort of "feature" is highly sought after by the general public, it is very difficult to solve. even if you did lots of manual tweaking using filters, eq bands, etc. the results would still be dubious at best. if you are ok with that though, two suggested techniques are:

- eq filtering to reduce the amplitude outside the (approx.) 200-4000Hz voice spectrum

- sampled noise filtering (sample the music as noise and then do a reduction based on that sample)