Split image appearing in exported video files

Mary Beth

Greetings!  This one has me stumped:  we have several short videos (most are MOV format) submitted by various folks to be posted on our soon-to-be-launched website, and in reviewing the videos I've found little things I've needed to fix, like fade-ins and fade outs at the beginning and end of the video.  So I load the MOV file into Video Pad, make the edits with no problem, then save the thing as a new MP4 file.  However, when viewing the new video, there's a bizarre split screen effect!  I tried saving it as a MOV file, but get the same problem.  Is this a VP issue, or an export issue, or something else?  Have never had this problem before.  Thanks!

-0-0-

I found a work-around, although I'm not sure this was the cause of the "split screen effect" - I used "Export" instead of "Save as", and used the default frame width of 3840 instead of the smaller one I generally use.  I suspect this issue might have something to do with the original video clip being put together on another platform, but I'm not sure.  At any rate, we're back in business!

Save As just writes the VPJ instruction file that tells the project what to do.  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Export, on the other hand, creates a playable video file, such as mp4, avi, mov.

The issue you mention may have been fixed.  Install the latest release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Report back if you see the split-screen again.

Thanks, Borate!  I think I figured out what was causing it (at least it makes sense):  the original video clip I was working from (in all the cases) had a width of 3840, and I routinely save my files with a much smaller width.  I experimented with several save options, and the issue always seemed to be the size of the original file.  Since saving the edited file in the bigger size, I've not had the split screen issue, but they're a bear to upload to Dropbox - they take forever! 😞  Thanks for your input!

Good enough.  Try the latest version to see if the issue persists.  File size/resolution should not result in a split-screen image.

If possible, upload a project that does this - prior to any workarounds.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.