Slow motion from 120 fps clip filmed with gopro hero 8

Sylvain Eckhardt

Hello, I've got a problem trying to make slow motion from a 120 fps clip filmed with go pro hero 8. I changed the speed to 20% to get 5x slowed and export at 25 fps.  The result is a really bad slow motion as it was about 5 fps. It looks like the go pro file is interpreted as a 25 fps file even though it is in fact 120 fps. I did the same kind of slow motion with plenty of other files filmed with another camera (panasonic G9) and it worked perfectly. Where is the problem?

Here is the portable project file: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YDeeGRdRemJ7qi1Vf99XIwiByBBW8KcG?usp=sharing

• borate changed the title to Slow motion from 120 fps clip filmed with gopro hero 8

What Videopad version is being used?  Looks fine here in the current release.   For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Thanks for the answer, but the problem is not resolved. I got exactly the same exported video. If you don't see the problem by yourself, it means that perhaps you can't help my so much. In the exported video, the slow motion is not smooth at all and the frame rate might be something like 5 fps. With a frame rate of 25 fps, the motion should be smooth and not jerky as in the exported file. I've tried to slow the clip with the media player (VLC), it works perfectly. I tried with another software, it works perfectly. I tries with other files in Videopad, it works perfectly. The preview of the slowed part in Videopad is smooth, it works perfectly. Now there's this problem and it looks like Videopad is recognizing the file as a 25 fps file when exporting the file. The problem is in the exportation of the file.

-0-0-

Actually I tried with another software (Openshot video editor) and the result is exactly the same, a jerky clip. 😕
I think there might be a problem with the gopro file (all aother files from other cameras work pefectly) or the codec used by go pro, who knows... The preview in videopad works, as well as the preview in Openshot video editor, so really the problem comes when exporting the file.

-0-0-

Compare with this exported file (shotcut) and see the difernce by yourself, no need to explain https://content.invisioncic.com/r33241/emoticons/default_smile.png  : https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Td2-oUJmO5qHaMRXxz4Hkzr2HmTHLpR/view?usp=sharing

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! After a while (and cleaning hard drive) I tried again and it worked perfectly. It seems, that my computer was to buzzy to be able to to the slomo. The jerkiness in my export is not due to the frame rate setting, it was obviously about 5 fps instead of 25.

Perhaps it has something to do with the codec used and kind of settings of the gopro. Many slow motion videos are automatically in 24, 25 or 30 fps and the video is slowed by the camera itself. With the gopro the slomo file is not slowed and the frame rate is 120 or 240 fps and the slow motion is obtained by processing it with software, which failed with videopad when my computer was to buzzy, as videopad was processing a 25 fps file (slowed 5 times to 5 fps)