Video Bin Acting Up

Mary Beth

Greetings!  I have version 11.71 and have experienced what I think is a bug (and have reported it):  I'm going along fine, adding video clips to the track, when suddenly the video bin goes black!  I try to scroll down it and it flutters a bit before displaying the clips again, but then I can't drag any clips to the track - it makes a blue "box" like one does when selecting a bunch of files at once in Windows Explorer or something (wish I could add a screen shot)!  I used to be able to close the program, get back in, and it would work fine, but not this time, and I've gotten out and in twice!  It's stopped me dead in my work!  Has anyone else had this issue?  Thanks!

That's something not reported or seen to date.  Please list your PC's specs:  GPU/CPU/RAM.

Confirm that the video driver and Direct-X are up to date...  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/1772.html

Under the OPTIONS | EDITING window, make this choice... image.png

If the issue persists please install this release.  Let us know what succeeds.

You can link to a screen shot.  Just upload it to a free server, get a shared (public) link and post that link here.  If using Google Drive, make the link "anyone can view" - not "restricted."

Nope - it's still doing it even after the updates and changing that option to None (CPU only).  (BTW, when I went in to update the Direct-X driver, there was nothing available for Windows 11...)  The video bin still flashes when I open the file, and I made a screen shot of what it does when I try to drag the clip to the track and put it on Google drive:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gt1J73YzB8DddNsuB9Kz-7IWK1cCYxzG/view?usp=sharing

I'm hesitant to install an earlier version only in that I actually tried opening this file on my other computer which has version 7-something, I believe (which works perfectly), and it wouldn't open it because it said it was created in a later version!  I'll try, though...

Here are the specs:

Device name    MiriamEaglemon
Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz   2.80 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
Device ID    E2032759-E517-4B4C-814E-A54183899A0E
Product ID    00342-20728-83701-AAOEM
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Edition    Windows 11 Home
Version    21H2
Installed on    ‎10/‎25/‎2021
OS build    22000.739
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.739.0

Does this help?

Good news:  I installed the release you recommended and it seems to be working fine now!  I'll let you know if it acts up again!  Thanks so much!

-0-

Well, I spoke too soon; even with the earlier release it started flashing again and refusing to let me select and move a clip.  Help! 

Try this next...

Close VP.  Then use Windows Explorer (the file manager) to delete all files in these folders.  When done, install this VP version.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components"   (or they may be in the Program Files path (no x86).

"C:\Users\<PC user name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

Just as an FYI, I found the first path, but not the second; there IS no "AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components" under my user name.  But we'll see how it goes...

-0-

Okay, here's what happened:

1.  Started off fine, until I pulled the clip I wanted onto the track, unlinked the audio and video (I wanted to slow down the video but keep the audio to slide over later), and that's when the video bin went black and then started flashing when I tried to select something.

2.  Closed VP, went back in, and the video bin was still flashing (and doing that "blue square" that I made the screen shot of).

3.  Repeated the deleting of the Component files (this time there was just one folder, although I noticed an application file under the Video Pad folder with the same name - mp3el2

4.  I was going to go back in a try working without doing the unlink (although I've never had problems with that before), but I see another response from you in the e-mail so I'll send this off and see what you have to say!🙂

-0-

The glitch might have something to do with the unlinking process, as when I dragged a speed-changed clip onto the track, unlinked the audio, and deleted it, the video bin went black again!  But instead of panicking 🙂 I just continued and added a title (which took me into a different bin), and so far things appear to be working; I'll keep you posted if things come to a grinding halt!

Humm...   this may not be a Videopad issue, but one with the mouse or PC.  Try a different mouse.

And be sure that you are not right-clicking when dragging from the bin.  A right-click | drag will produce a blue square.

Open the Windows Control Panel and click on MOUSE.  Go to the Buttons tab and confirm that Click Lock is not enabled...

image.png

I'm afraid I'm stuck with the mouse that I have (it's a brand new ASUS laptop), but you may be on to something with the right-click issue - this mouse pad is EXTREMELY sensitive (drives me nuts sometimes), and there have been times when I thought I was left-clicking and some drop down menu comes up!  I'll be cognizant of that, and will check that Click Lock issue.  So far so good; haven't had the video bin flash on me yet, but we'll keep an eye on it; thanks so much!

-0-

Okay, just for the record, I really do think there's a bug that's related to unlinking the audio and visual of a clip, then deleting one or the other, as that's when the video bin goes black.  I've been able to work around it by doing something with another bin (like adding a title), and when I open another video file the video bin seems to be working okay, but I really suspect there's something connected with that unlink/delete action.  Just an FYI; thanks!

Yeah, there is, and I put it on the lowest sensitivity possible; it's just different than my old HP and probably just takes some getting used to!  I'll experiment some with the linking issue and see if I can recreate any consistent problems!  Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Well, here it is, five months later, and it's happening again! 😞 It's been working fine up till now, but suddenly, ALL the bins are flickering, and when I tried to reload one of the audio files, the whole thing froze up on me and I had to reboot the computer!  I noticed that after installing the latest Intel drivers that Video Pad tried to install a new update that apparently took care of some bugs, but then I got an error message saying it couldn't install it.  I currently have v. 12.33 (at least that's what comes up when I click on "help").  I'm kinda stuck here until this glitch can be fixed; thanks!

It's tough to know what's happening without actually seeing what you see. This hints at a PC issue.  12.33 is the current release.

Be aware that if the left-click button is held down while dragging the timeline cursor it will select the area - which turns blue.

image.png

Hi, Borate!  Thankfully the "left click" issue is no longer an issue; what came back (and apparently went away after I reinstalled VP - which I noticed has a few changes from the 12.33 I had on there) was the blackened and flickering bins, and the freezing of the program when I tried to reopen files.  Maybe that was the "bug" that they fixed!  The only issue I'm noticing with the new update is that it's giving me trouble trying to drop an audio file into Audio Track 2 (which already has some audio clips there):  it doesn't seem to want to go past Audio Track 1 and vibrates something fierce when it pauses there, but eventually I get the thing down to Audio Track 2, so right now I can work around that.