How can I move all the small clips grouped till the end to create a new gap in the middle of the clip?

MLO2022

Hi

I constantly run into this issue that I need to squeeze a new sequence into the clip. Now the clip consists of lot of small clips, which I need to grab and drag manually each one to the right side so that there's a gap in the middle.

Is there no function just to create a define a new slot in the middle and all the rest move till the end automatically?

• borate changed the title to How can I move all the small clips grouped till the end to create a new gap in the middle of the clip?

Select (highlight) the first clip to the right of where you want to make the insert.

Hold down the <shift> key and select the last clip on the sequence.

Drag those clips to the right.

Insert the new content.

If there's a gap, right-click in it and CLOSE GAP.

You can also select clips (even on different tracks), right-click on one and GROUP CLIPS.  All will move in tandem.

• 1 month later...

Left click the first file, hold down <shift> and left click the last file.  All in that track will be selected.  If instead <ctrl> is held down, individual clips will be selected.  To move all tracks, do this for each track.  OR...

Select any clip.  Then click <ctrl-A>.  That will select the entire sequence (all tracks) and all selected clips will move when dragged.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar. 

Hi

If all the clips you want to move are on the same track try this..

• Left  click the first of the group of clips (i.e. select it)
  • Hold down the shift Key
  • Left click the last clip. This will select all the clips in between
  • .Now Right click the last clip in the group and choose Group Selected Clips from the menu.
  • Drag the group of clips up to a higher track to leave a gap in the original track.
  • Add your new clips to the gap.

The grouped clips can be moved left/right to any new position

Nat

• 2 months later...

I still don't get it right 😞

I have a track with approx 60 single tracks in it and over 5 video tracks.

Now when I realised that I missed out something in the middle, this is s huge problem, because when I want to squeeze something in the middle then all the sequences get thrown out. 

When I insert in the 30min clip on video track 3 a new clip by 10min then all the clips on this specific track get shifted back, which is great and ok BUT....

all the remaining tracks still remain as they were, and now the overblend timing, audio speeches, effects etc get damaged.

Is there a way how to solve this problem? 

Regards

MLO

First thing, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  The you're protected and can restore earlier saved by double-clicking the VPJ file.

If all tracks are to be moved in concert, group them.  On each track, select only the clips that are to be kept in sync.  Then right-click on any of the selected clips and GROUP.  Now, when an insert is made to one track,  the same movement will be made to the other grouped tracks.

In this example ALL clips on all tracks have been selected.  (If the clips on tracks 1 and 2 that are to the left of the insert point were not to be moved, then they would not have been selected prior to grouping.)