Can't save project without losing all edit changes to a file

r.riggs

With all changes made on the timeline sequence...

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.  Then you are protected, and all changes will be reflected in the latest save.

Is this the way you're doing it?

• borate changed the title to Can't save project without losing all edit changes to a file
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Borat....thanks for the come back.

I have tried that and same results.  What has worked is how I bring it up. If I go and bring it in as a file...no go.  If I go into my PC folder and drag it in....no go.

However, if I go up to "open" right under "menu" and click on the arrow....not the word "open" but the arrow to the right of it, it will show me the last couple things I have worked on and I can see the project easily (since I only work on one at a time) and I can click the file path and the project will open with the changes made and supposedly saved last time.  I miss the old movie program that used to come with Windows! 

SAVE or SAVE AS takes a snapshot (so to speak) of all material on the timeline...files, transitions, effects.  It's a control file.

Don't mistake the EXPORTed file for the VPJ.   Don't attempt to add a VPJ file to an open project.  The VPJ opens the project.  It's not viewable.

No matter how it's accessed - double-clicking on a VPJ, using Menu | FILE | OPEN PROJECT, or as you describe - the sequence is restored as it was when saved.

If that's not the case, then something is amiss.  Install the latest versionFor licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Hi

"..... I drop in a clip and make editing changes to it ....."

So far so good. You have loaded a clip and edited it. You now have two ways to save it..

1. As an EXPORTED file.......i.e a finished video clip in a suitable format e.g. mp4
  2. A vpj file which is a text file that holds all the information regarding your project...the clips and images you have used; their  names and location; the edits you made; texts you may have added etc. As Borate says, this is not your edited project. It is a text file that VP can read and from it reconstruct your project.

You create a vpj file by clicking the Save Project  tab. From the menu choose Save Project File As   since this will allow you to use a name of your choice and the save will not overwrite any other save you may have made.  In this way you can make multiple saves at different stages of your editing and place them in your own designated folder..

A vpj file can be activated by double clicking it. This will open VP which will read the data and load the files it contains and the edits and texts and so reproduce you project exactly at the stage that it was saved. In fact, as you work VP automatically saves a vpj file in the background in case your system crashes for some reason. This is removed if you close VP in the normal way

"......However, if I go up to "open" right under "menu" and click on the arrow....not the word "open" but the arrow to the right of it, it will show me the last couple things I have worked on and I can see the project easily (since I only work on one at a time) and I can click the file path and the project will open with the changes made and supposedly saved last time. ..."

If VP is already open this procedure will list all the vpj files you made and you will have the choice of which one to open. An alternative is to simply drag the vpj file of your choice from the save folder to the VP icon (on the desktop?) and drop it which will do the same thing. In all these scenarios VP will (or should) open your project at the point it was saved. If it doesn't something is amiss.

Occasionally the vpj will not be able to find your clips if you have renamed or moved them. In this case VP will tell you so and ask you to relocate the files or resolve the problem

Nat