VP continuously freezes and crashes on various stages

St Bosse

Please help, I cannot do any video projects! At this point my VP program is unusable.

The program freezes on  2nd “Add Files” and when trying to cancel, gives a message  “Restarting background thread”, then go into “Not responding” and eventually screen goes pale. If 2nd file does load successfully, there are no thumbnails on the sequence track. Video “play” on the sequence will may also randomly result in a total freeze which requires a “end task” and restart of laptop.

If I do get a clip loaded successfully, and try to export, the file may run or run up to a random % and freezes and . . . .

Steps after export, close program, discard project, will crash and go pale.

Save Project goes straight into “Not responding”.

To get out I must “end task” Videopad in task manager and restart my laptop before Videopad will run again.

I have uninstalled, reinstalled, update to latest, cleared caches, updated my laptop, win and bios, no difference!  . . . and back to version 11.01. My current version which work quite well few months ago!

All other programs on my laptop runs perfectly without any problems which I use 6 to 7 hours per day.

I do not think it is the video clips because it happens with any clip.

St Bosse

My laptop:

Asus VivoBook
Intel i7, GDU Intel iRIS Xe
12GB Mem
Windows 10 64-bit 10.0.19044
Firmware X513EA.310 (Downloaded and installed Apr 4,2022)

Hi,

We do aware of many crash and hang reports from users using Intel GPUs. We are working on solving this issue.

Could you please try avoid using Intel GPU for now? You can chose CPU only from  Options > Editing > Video Processor.

We will be grateful if you could help us run further tests to identify the problems.

Thanks for reporting issues and sorry for the inconvenient.

Thank you for your response, only one problem:-

"You can chose CPU only from  Options > Editing > Video Processor."  Video Processor option does not exist on the Editing Tab!
Is there another place where this option could be hiding?

I am using version 11.01. I have tried both , 32 and 64 bit - No difference!
I have also updated to latest version on NCH site hour ago. Same problem!

Yes I am using v11.01. 

This is now an awkward situation !  v11.01 was the last upgrade allowed under my 6 month license . So now you want me the buy/pay for a very questionable upgrade?

Are you willing to send me a temporary "key" for the upgrade to v11.38? I have bought quite a few upgrade licenses up till now (and on various other products), as you will be able to verify from your records.  

Please let me know.

St B

Have you also updated the video driver and confirmed that Direct-X is current?  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/1772.html

Install this 32-bit version, which will have the CPU-only choice under OPTIONS | EDITING.  Though it may not be licensed, it should work for you.

Or you might try this prior to install.  Download and run this free tool.  Allow it to uninstall Videopad totally, including deleting all entries under the SCAN options it offers.  Then install the linked version or your 11.01.

If you provide the project folder (not simply the VPJ file), per the following instructions, that may help diagnose this issue.  Just four steps to closely follow...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Let us know the result.  If a bug is confirmed, you likely will be issued a extended license.

• borate changed the title to VP continuously freezes and crashes on various stages

Hi borate, thanks for joining in the discussion.

I have run dxdiag and it show DirectX version 12.  GDU (Iris Xe) shows ver: 30.0.101.1660 dd March 17, 2022. I have down loaded the latest from Intel as you suggested and reinstalled DirectX and the GDU driver - NO change.

You said "If you provide the project folder . . . etc", then  it may help diagnose this issue. Just one problem, when it comes to the "issue" , the system has already frozen and backing up is not possible.   . . . or do you want me to do this step after getting it going with the "free tool"?

St B

You can certainly try the 'free tool' procedure, which makes for a clean install.

But if you can load the project onto the timeline without it freezing, do try the procedure outlined above. This doesn't save the project, it saves all the files in the project + the VPJ control file.  That's what's needed to reconstruct the project here.

Don't export or save.  But if it won't even load the project onto the timeline, then the above procedure isn't the answer.

If all the source files are in a single folder, open it and see if there is a VPJ file there as well.  If so, upload that entire folder.  You might want to ZIP it first.

The next logical step would be to test the project on another PC, if one is available.

6 hours ago, borate said:

Install this 32-bit version, which will have the CPU-only choice under OPTIONS | EDITING.  Though it may not be licensed, it should work for you.

Okay, this option works fine!
I also noticed that when adding the clips, it doesn't throw it onto the time line as well at the same time.

. . . . and I am now totally deconnected and disconfused!   The 32bit version works with any "Options - Editing" selection: Default, CPU or GPU.
I wonder if the Revo uninstaller didn't clean out some bumf leftovers?
Is the above 32bit version different from the VP on the NCH web page?

Looks like the Intel GDU iRIS Xe, is at this point not compatible with the 64bit version.

Borate, thanks for sticking with me and all your suggestions to get it working. I appreciated it greatly!

St Bosse

The linked 32-bit 11.38 release above is the one currently on the VP download page.

Here's a 64-bit free version.  Some features are disabled, but otherwise it's usable.  If mp4 export balks, try AVI.  Might be worth a test?

With each install of the same version, there can be subtle variations in features and operation.  The fact that clips now don't load to the time line when imported may be one of those variations.

And, yes, it is possible that the REVO uninstaller cleared away some digital detritus.

1 hour ago, St Bosse said:

The 32bit version works with any "Options - Editing" selection: Default, CPU or GPU.

Hmmm . . .no it doesn't.  I tested it with 5 or 6 video tracks and it crashed again. Then set the editing option to CPU only and it worked.
Seems the crash/freeze issue is definitely related to the Intel GDUs.

St B