Version 11.17 MTS issues

mulie

Lancelot Chan;

Thank you kind Sir. That is helpful, and I find what you say to be the case using my current version 11.22.

Using a 20,000 kbps camera source video, I find that we get the export Total bitrates as per;

• using Default - "High" quality file size gives export at 17,893 kbps (18K kbps nominal)
  • using Default - "Medium" quality file size gives export at 3,916 kbps (4K kbps nom)
  • using Default - "default" quality file size gives export at 7,983 (8K kbps nom).

It seems a shame that one cannot tailor the output specifically to what the options would seem to imply, and I was ideally hoping to achieve a 10 or 12K kbps, but certainly 18K kbps will be OK for short videos, and maybe I shall have to accept the 8K kbps for longer videos. Youtube upload times may be too excessive for long ones at 18K kbps, plus there is the file size vs memory storage of course.

On a related note, another video I exported using Default - "High" quality came out at 15,155 kbps (15K kbps nom), so "High" seemingly gives a range of 15-18K kbps nominal.

I did not try the Default - "Low" quality setting, but I hazard a guess that this would yield circa 2,000 kbps files.

Kind Regards.

Hello Borate;

Can you please say what this latest version number is before I click on it. I don't think I quite yet understand why no version ever seems to be made wholly good before a new version appears with all its new attendant issues.

Just looking at the main comment pages it seems that 11.38 has issues. Oh my god, what is going on? I keep trying to document everything about each version in case I need to revert at some point to the "least worst" variant, but it seems like a full time job.

Thankyou.

The latest release is 11.38, both 32-and 64-bit.  It's good, but there are a few newly revealed quirks that are now being addressed.  Most are so obscure that users are unlikely to come upon them ... and they have workarounds.  Issues can be due to unfamiliarity.  Some are equipment related.

VP is not a simple app but complex software.  With endless configurations worldwide, what's the expectation that any program will run flawlessly on every single PC?   Zilch!😉

NCH beta tests their regular enhancements and improvements.  Other vendors may update less often.  For example, several bugs in Windows 8 and 10 took months, and in one instance, years to correct after they were reported.  True VP bugs are fixed quickly when confirmed.

If the version that you have is working well, there's no mandate to upgrade.  'Maintenance' changes are subtle.  As always, newer releases can be test driven - unlicensed or not - to see what's enticing, and whether problems arise.

Ok, thank you Borate. I sort of see, yet I suppose I must just have been pure darned lucky to only have tried one version before, and it was just fine out of the gate back in 2018 with v6.00.

Nevertheless I shall give 11.38 64 a try.

I would like to be suggested for a time extension if at all possible as I have been through an awful lot of versions so far, with assiduous notetaking at each version for reasons already stated.

These are my very-very summarized findings so far, going back to 18th January;

• 11.08 does not fire up Nvidia (but is quick nonetheless). 11.08 also has a funny frame backflip thing going on with transitions.
  • 11.17 64 beta is no good with .MTS (28/1/22).
  • 11.18 has out of sync audio (5/2/22).
  • 11.20 has out of sync audio (no lip sync) in final export
  • 11.22 beta has first few frame blurred in export unless you use Default export settings.
  • 11.22 32 bit full release has first few frame blurred in export unless you use Default export settings.

Yikes and crikey, it might not look it but there is a lot of notetaking and comparison work represented in the above.

Kind Regards.

Betas don't count;  they are test versions.

Most MTS issues have been solved and you were issued a license for the sync issue.

GPU usage changes have likely been made since 11.08, so don't expect the same results with the current release.

Blurring hasn't been replicated here.  Just tested version 11.22 using H265 at 30000kpbs, 854x480 and it was clean. Also gave it a run at 4K resolution, and it too was clean at the head.

Perhaps a settings or hardware difference?  Upload a project that definitely does this for you and we'll take a look.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• 4 weeks later...

Still on the V11.38 64 bit, I find that every time I apply a simple text block to a scene, or apply a fade transition, I get blue and/or purple line 'lock-out' to my video for about 30 minutes before I can even get control back to my preview window so I can see the outcome. I have some thirty fade transitions in my video, and currently 3 text blocks, so that is about a week's worth of waiting for line lock-outs just in the tweaking edits.

I can apply a clip fade transition to a clip at 90% on the timeline, yet the blue/purple line starts working through from timeline zero, like it is re-paginating the whole piece from scratch each time.

Can anyone please recommend a video editing package that is affordable and works. I always used to extol the virtues of Videopad (@ version 6), and always proudly stated the package used in my video descriptions.

When I sit down to the computer, I ideally wish to be editing videos, not forever communicating on this message board for assistance, and for four years I never had any need before I was prompted into upgrading my prior paid 'for life' license on this new laptop.

-0-0-

.... And then when the purple line has at last finished its cycle through, there is no audio. Oh for heavens sakes.

On 4/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, mulie said:

Lancelot Chan;

Thank you kind Sir. That is helpful, and I find what you say to be the case using my current version 11.22.

Since my hardware is old (12 years old), I often encounter many strange bugs that people here don't encountered, thus feeling quite lonely myself. Thanks for letting me know I'm actually being helpful to you too. 

Lancelot Chan; my hardware is brand new, Dell, hum-dinging spec and hardware, yet the videopad editor is now such a hassle. I can't seem to get anything done without issues. This subject says "addressed" but it isn't really, I've been through a litany of versions. It is a shame really. On my old clunky laptop with version 6 of videopad I never had an issue, never had to spend time on this or any other forum, intuitive and easy, it was just that the old laptop was slow and low spec. Transferring to the new laptop I was forced into a renewed paid subscription for a newer version - thus hassle, hassle, hassle ever since.

I've been looking at alternative softwares now, I might leave NCH to it - fed up. Davinci is even free and looks fairly high spec. I was a champion for Videopad, not now. Version 11.08 through to v11.38, all nigglesome and glitchy. Fed up with trying to document all the issues so that I know the LEAST WORST version to revert to when my 6 months is up (soon). Hence the plan B Davinci or similar. That may now be my plan A actually.

Kind Regards.

44 minutes ago, mulie said:

Lancelot Chan; my hardware is brand new, Dell, hum-dinging spec and hardware, yet the videopad editor is now such a hassle.

I can echo your pain. I did not report every crash and bug I've encountered during the making of my gaming videos, which were over 1 hr long with high bitrate and 60fps. There were glitches here and there when working on huge project. For one example, I made 2 of such videos and the 1st one came out alright with lossless export. Then I try to compress it with h265 but at certain spots it will freeze frames while audio goes on normally. After that period things go normal again. I tried to export twice, spending 2 days since my computer is so old, and both times it ended up the same with the freeze frames at those spots. 

For the second gaming video with lossless export, it somehow exported as 6 channels and have downgraded audio playback. I had to debug it myself and switch it back to stereo and export all over again to get things done. 

That's not to mention the numerous crashes I experienced when working these big projects. So I was thinking, if I ever upgrade my computer, which my dad has one ready just sitting here, I may or may not use Videopad. Like you, I was a champion for it. Exporting with h264 in 11.4x has become super slow for me, and exporting with h265 in 11.3x was limiting to low bit rate, which this problem was corrected in 11.4x. So I have to use 2 different versions now for different export. LOL.

The current release at this writing is 11.48, on the WEBsite.  Yest, the H265 encoder low bitrate issue was resolved.  H265 will be slower than H264.

Did the freezes occur at a clip that had been reversed?  What version was being used at that time?

31 minutes ago, borate said:

We can only guess, without seeing the project ... or a trimmed section that exhibits the flaw on export.

I'll show the freezing section where the H264 didn't freeze up but h265 froze up. Computer is doing h265 compress now so I'll wait till I can do "screen record". I'll put up a youtube link. 

-0-0-

There also one problem I encountered repeatedly that when I change the playback speed of the certain section to be very fast like 500%, the sound clip would be wrong and plays some sound earlier in the video at normal speed.

Unless the export audio channel default has been manually changed, it's   image.png

Were there any six-channel source files?

Never have seen a report on the audio speed issue.  Individual clips were sped up to 500% in several projects here.  The result was as expected.

Exported results don't help much.  Someone needs to replicate the problem by running the project itself.

Video editing is resource intensive.  A number of the issues you have mentioned hint that it's time to switch over to that new PC.😀

A gaming class machine is recommended for long and complex projects.  And VP 64-bit.  That's not to claim perfection or that 32-bit won't succeed as well.

With an infinite number of PC hardware/software /OS configurations, what's the likelihood that a program will run flawlessly for every user?  Problems can arise from user unfamiliarity, hardware or software issues.  Folks here chip in with their best efforts. but there's no way that everyone will be happy..

Yes, it was same as input (stereo) but it states 6 channels when I checked the exported file. My videos are always 2 channels. Only this video has this issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFA3GqkvDoQ
I know it won't help much but at least you can take a look of what happened on my end. The video also shows the blurry start I and some other users mentioned, in additional to frame frozen and out of sync audio during fast forward (not my narration, my narration is fine). 

Can see the problems, though the 'out of sync'  issue isn't clear.  Hints at a resource deficit.

But there's no telling what causes them without having the project files on hand and knowing what VP version was used.

Version was 11.32(h264) and 11.45 (h265). Audio suddenly become silent when fast forward, because it was playing the starting portion of the video where I was loading the game up. The video was almost 30gb so there's no hope I can upload the project for everyone to take a look. 

You might delete all but a small segment, and export that - IF it demonstrates the problems.

Sometimes it helps to break a long project into several parts, export each, then assemble those exports for a final export.

Otherwise, suggest you try another PC, if available, and use the current release.