Version 11.17 MTS issues

mulie

Having started off recently with version 11.08 on 18/1/22, .MTS files seemed to load up fast and render quickly. Then I got booted up to version 11.17 on 22/1/22 (after some general bug reportage apparently), and now .MTS files don't load and display right, neither in the preview or the sequence windows. 

One thing I did note that on v11.08 the NVidia card did not fire up at all but it was generally quite fast, but now on v 11.17 the Nvidia does fire up, but like I say it now cannot address 1920 x 1080 16400 kbps .MTS files anymore. (It seems counter intuitive, more video card processing power brought into play yet it now does not handle it?)

There was an email release of 11.17 on the 26th of Jan, I don't suppose this will be any different to my version loaded on 22nd of Jan.

I have got loads of .MTS footage yet to edit. Should I revert to 11.08? or is there any other advice or recommendations from NCH and the forum please. Thank you in advance.

(Ps, I was perfectly happy with my paid for version of v 6.0 which I thought I could simply transfer over to my new hotrod machine, but when I tried it booted me to a discounted but paid anew version of 11.08).

You posted to the MAC forum.  Assuming the O/S is actually Windows...

This is the current 11.17.  Reinstall it.

Several MTS files tested just fine in that version here.  Share your file and someone will check it out.  Upload to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Ok, thanks borate. So if I click that link title it will just do its thing will it and overwrite my existing program? (sorry I am not very techy). I am on windows 11 and my current Videopad does say version 11.17 at the bottom right hand corner, so are you intimating that I have an earlier 'a' or a 'b' version instead of a later 'c' variant or something? My 11.17 was dated 26th Jan, so has there been an evolution of it since then? Kind Regards.

OK, I thank you for your time borate. I do not know if you are an NCH boffin or a very talented and keen public contributor, but thanks either way. Sorry for the long detailed reportage here, but I am not at all i-techy, I can only describe it as an ordinary old school engineer would.

Trying the program overwrite you suggested today (28/1/22 am), I think it was exactly the same version. 

Trial 1; A multi clip project of 2min 55 secs video time took about 15 mins to cache-in. If you then add a transition or something it does a re-cache all over again, during which time you cannot be doing any other edits to the project because the sequence preview freezes, as does the cursor, whilst the CPU is busy.

Trial 2; A single clip project of 13min 11 sec was then tried in a new session. It took 22 mins to cache-in. Then was glitchy to play with audio out of sync in preview. If you then split the track to discard a section say, then do a cross fade to link the remaining clips, then it re-caches from zero all over again. I am sure it would do similarly if I then wished to amplify the audio, or crop the image, or adjust it in any other way. Each little tweak would entail a long wait before you can do the next step.

I never saw a purple band, it was blue from the start, then gradually turned to the underlying black over a yawningly long time, each and every time.

Neither of these cache-in and (re-cache) times are workable if any realistic productivity is to be accomplished.

I did try the clear cache thing you articulated to another correspondent, but I hardly know how to do that without being worried about clearing out something important, and I have never had to do that before in 4 years of regular successful Videopad use (v 6.0) over the past four years. It was just slow because of my antiquated hardware of that time.

Is this a 64 bit version? Would that make much of a difference?
My computer is new, is an i7 11800H 11 gen CPU, 64 bit, 16 meg ram, 6meg Nvidia 3060, 1Tb SDD, I am sure it is an absolute hot diggity dog machine.

I know the 13min 11sec clip is good because I actually used and published it in a Youtube video 4 years ago, edited and made on Videopad v6.0, on my old 2010 Packard Bell Pentium T4400 dual core 4 meg ram no graphics card machine, which was just slow to finalize, but OK in the load up.

I tried it again after a re-start of the machine, in case that was required, again trial 2 repeated was as begrudgingly slow.

I do so hope that you or the NCH people can give me some hope that things may soon come to be resolved. I am spending so much time just in this query/trial/no-progress state that I am not being at all productive – neither on the editing, nor in other realms of life due to the huge cerebral distraction this constitutes.

Kind Regards.

Nothing remotely like your experience with test MTS files here.  We need to see your files.  To help you, please upload and share the multi-clip project.  Or both your examples, if possible.  For the project, follow these steps closely.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Clearing cache during a session won't hurt a thing.  If done prior to loading files or a project the load will simply take longer, because content must be re-cached.

Your PC is capable and the Videopad 64-bit release should perform well, as it can utilize more memory.  Give it a try.   Here it is.

OK thankyou. I shall try the 64 bit version first.

When I cleared 'cache' I meant I cleared windows tempfiles etc. I think all of the project files default to the recycle bin anyway but I haven't really got a clue on that.

So here goes, 64 bit 11.17, then I'll try to do that file share thing (yikes!).

Kind Regards.

Cleared Videopad cache files don't go to the recycle bin - they're just gone.  But cleaning up Windows temp files on occasion isn't a bad idea.

Using Windows Explorer (the file manager) right-click the C drive, then click PROPERTIES.  The clean up button is then available... image.png

Sharing isn't as daunting as it sounds, if the steps above are followed closely.  It's saving a project, then uploading it to a server and getting a shared (public) link.  This allows us to see exactly what you see, and try to replicate the issue.

OK, thankyou good Sir or Madam;

I shall study the disc clean thing when my head is freed up, it looks like the defrag sort of thing which I think might be programmed every month or so. Useful info.

Re the one drive thing; holy moly, i have created the folders and am uploading one (the smallest @ 357 MB) to onedrive now, but it is taking forever, and my wifi keeps crashing too, gadzooks .... but still, must carry on.

Kind Regards.

You will succeed!  Post the link here when the upload completes.  If you followed step one, above, there should be only a single project folder to upload (for each project).

Defrag is a hard disk function that organizes the files ... nothing to do with clearing the temp files or the VP cache.  And, yes, it's likely being done automatically.

Would still like to see your file or project, for analysis.

Recently, an MTS issue has come to light, though it may not have relevance to yours.

That has been fixed in the current 11.20 beta (test) release.  You are welcome to try it - with the usual beta caveats.

And you might also check out this slightly older version.

No need to uninstall.  Installation takes just seconds and your current version can be reinstalled.

Hello Borate. I am having internet connection issues at the mo and every time I go to upload the project folders it falls over and stalls. I shall be getting a new router on the 15th. I had thought it might happen before then but the openreach street-ware proprietor cannot switch over to the new plan until then.

I could look at hardwiring-in with the ethernet cable if you think it is worth while. I've not gone hardwire before but I think it could be a physical possibility.

Re the new versions, so we have a 11.20 beta (but what are the caveats ?)

The other other version is a 11.18 or 11.19 I assume? Which one best addresses the .MTS thing, and which one would I be best off to try?

Kind Regards.

At last, some success with the uploading of folders in the .mts trials. Empirical observations relating to same as per below;

Trial 1 (v 11.18); 2min 55sec .MTS multi clip (8 off) cacheing up seems to be at a much lower rate than for trial 2, maybe because it is a multiclip. Timed at 24 mins (for a 3 min project).
CPU 15%, GPU 0 1%, GPU 1 (Nvidia) varies circa 7-16%, Ram at 39% (6 meg) usage.
It is saved as 2022-01-28 15-35-56 (391 MB)

Trial 2 (v11.18); 13min 11sec .MTS e-bike 1000km review clip inserted, blue line passes within perhaps 1 minute in the preview window, but then putting it on the timeline, takes 22 minutes timed. 
CPU 88%, GPU 0 0%, GPU 1 (Nvidia) varies circa 25-40%, Ram at 45% (7 meg) usage.
Putting in a split caused the re-cache to start all over so I undid that to grab a backup file for you. The audio was out of sync again, but I know it is alright from previous youtube upload from this very clip.
It is saved as 2022-01-28 15-02-50. (1.13 GB)

Trial 3 (v11.18); 2min 55 sec .MTS multi clip which saw the blue line passing almost immediately in the preview window, but collectively the two took 6 mins to sweep through the blue in the sequence window. This is 2 clips that I know worked pretty well when I created a finalised video when I still had the 11.08 version. Non of the clips here show my lips so I can’t tell whether it is out of sync or not.
CPU 100%, GPU 0 0%, GPU 1 (Nvidia) varies circa 20-35%, Ram at 43% (6.7 meg) usage.
The audio was a bit out of sync in the former 11.08 editor, but it seemed to come good in the export. It formerly loaded dead fast, and exported fast. Oh, and the 11.08 transitions had that funny backframe flip thing going on, so I ended up not using my usual 1 second cross fades etc.
It is saved as 2022-01-28 15-59-51 (357 MB)

This last one was the least onerous by far, and behaved pretty much like it had on 11.08.

I have to point out that all MP4 projects (as distinct and separate from the above .MTS trials) had been pretty good so far, but these .MTS files are the only type I can get from one particular Sony Handycam device, and I have lots banked up for processing, and .MTS files had never ever been an issue on my old V 6.0 videopad.
All these trials are all from files stored internally (i.e. on the SSD), not from an external HDD or SD card etc. This machine should be humming them through.

I hope some of this makes sense.

Using 11.20 32-bit, and starting each with a clean cache, the trials fully loaded to the sequence in these times.  Export was at default values...

1 -      :45         268MB    3 minutes 2 seconds

2 -    4:57        2.66GB   13 minutes 11 seconds          Hardware can make a difference, of course.  This is an I7(8700) with a GTX1060 video card.

3 -      :34         597MB    2 minutes 53 seconds

The green line above the sequence thumbs should be complete but there is no need to wait for the purple ribbon under the preview window to complete, if ever. 

To eliminate gaps between cuts on trial 2, go to Storyboard mode, where they will be clearly visible.  Right-click in a gap and CLOSE GAP.

Lip sync was seen only in the long trial and was dead-on in preview, but may be very slightly off on export.  That's being looked at.

Thank you kind Sir;

Now trying out version 11.20 32 bit [Using that 13min 11 sec 1000km review clip (.MTS)];

i.e. This was that trial 2 clip you have saved as 2022-01-28 15-02-50. (1.13 GB)

Videopad Version 11.20 32 bit;

• First time loading (and after a cache clean) the timed progress of the blue line in the sequence preview window was clearing to grey at the rate of about 1 minute of video timeline in 6.5 mins of real time, so the whole would have taken about 85 mins (1hr 25 mins) to clear. I realized however that I had not observed the clip preview window at all, so quitting after 7 mins or so, and clearing the cache, I started a new videopad session. CPU 36%, Ram 6.5 Gb (41%), GPU 0 1%, GPU 1 7%
  • Second time (after said 2nd cache clean) and looking specifically at the clip preview window, there was no purple, it was instantly grey. Now observing the sequence preview window this second time, the blue line took 15mins 25secs to clear (timed). I.e the blue line clear rate is at about 1.2 minutes of real time per minute of video timeline. CPU 96%, Ram 7.1 Gb (45%), GPU 0 0%, GPU 1 20-40% varies.

Because (on this v11.20 32 bit iteration) the sequence and preview clips can play smoothly, with lip sync to boot - pretty much from the get go (but note only so in clip and preview windows, alas not in export) - the fact that the blue line still takes a long time to clear is of much less consequence. This is because you can already be at the process of viewing and planning early tweaks and edits etc whilst it does its thing.

Export time for this same 13min11sec .MTS video clip ; with settings thus; 

Preset - Custom MP4, 
Resolution 1920 x 1080 – 1080P HD, 
Encoder Settings – File Quality 10,000 kbps
Encoder settings – Lossless Export – Auto Detect,
Framerate – 29.97 fps ……
…… it took 7mins & 38secs (timed) to complete - An export rate of 1.73 video timeline minutes per minute of real time. Conversely - a factor of 0.58 timeline length to export download time [on this computer – i7 11800H, 1TB, 16GB Ram, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 with 6GB video ram].

Lip sync was off though in the finalized export!

I mention all these stats just to baseline the performance against any further tweaked &/or 64 bit versions that may soon be released in answer to observations; to follow …….. see next forthcoming comms from me.

-0-0-

Version 11.20 Observations;

• The Ken Burns effect now shows the options for pan and zoom (as does the Pan and Zoom effect – so a duplication. The former Ken Burns presets were great though).
  • During playback, the main timeline cursor does not go fully to the right (it sort of ‘sticks’ at 85%).
  • Project begins to ‘re-paginate’/re-cache at every little tweak, even if it is only correcting one letter in a spelling mistake on a static text clip).
  • Program seems to have an auto in-built “Clear cache” function now. That is great if I'm right.
  • It would be great if the export options window ‘held’ the last (previous) set-up choices (as V6.0 used to do).
  • Lip sync is out in the finalized export (I guestimate at perhaps 0.25 seconds or so).

I hope fettling any of the above will not however upset any of the recent gains we have made in getting .MTS files back into the game.

Kind Regards.

P&Z and Ken Burns overall are the same.  Depending upon install variables, features/options will vary - even with the same release.  Repeated installs may change them.  No need to re-download.

Using beta 11.21, green-line cache time was 5:21 on your 13 minute clip.  The gray line under PV completed at the same time, though it's not of prime concern.  Seeking and playback were both smooth, even prior to cache completion.  Sync was dead on.

A variety of effects and text revisions were tested.  With some, the green cache began a redraw but PV did not bog down and there was no buffering.

Export at default settings ran 2:05 but was a few frames out of sync.  Reported.  If the MTS was first converted to an mp4 then export took :16.  Sync was solid.  Please see my Personal Message.

Export encoder settings - format and encoder - do seem to stick from load to load.

• borate changed the title to Version 11.17 MTS issues

Hello Borate; thankyou.

Above I see a link - as written - to "current 10.22 beta version" (is that a typo i.e. should that be 11.22?), and is it 32 or 64 bit. (I think you have told me that a 64 bit would be better on a 64 bit machine?)

I agree that your personal message export output has much better lip sync now, but I do not know what you mean by convert .MTS to mp4 (H265) first, or how to do it.

Did you mean that the export took just 16 seconds?

[For information, the earlier Ken Burns effect options had presets like 'pan and zoom to lower left' or ' ..... to upper right' etc etc].

Kind Regards.

Yes, the converted export completed in :16, because it was an mp4, which could be exported losslessly, while MTS files cannot.

The MTS export took 2:45.

For lengthy, complex projects, the 64-bit incarnation is recommended for 64-bit operating systems.

As for those P&Z presets, repeated installs may bring them back.  As noted above, the same version may present different 'extras' each time it's installed.  This is done for marketing purposes.

11.22 (32) is the current release on the VP home page.

There's no mandate to install a newer version if the one you have is doing well.  Sometimes it best to hold off, in case issues crop up.

The latest can always be test driven - licensed or not - to explore features or fixes.  Just retain your registration info.

• 1 month later...

Hello there;

It has been a while, I just needed to have a rest from all this. It is quite hard work detailing and recording all the foibles of each subsequent version.

Using 11.22 (32), my latest observation is that upon export the first few frames of the video are often blurry. I think I have seen comments elsewhere to this effect.

I think you may be able to let me have a go at 11.26 now, might that resolve that issue?

If I get a masters edition, will I still be limited to 6 months from registration date to try to get a version that is satisfactory in all respects?

Kind Regards.

The six-month update period applies to all licensed versions.  But if a user reported bug is confirmed NCH usually issues a license extension.  You should have been a beneficiary of that policy unless, perhaps, you very recently purchased or upgraded.

Install the latest 64-bit release.  MTS issues seem to have been resolved.  If you run into one, please post your file or project here so it can be analyzed.

If you prefer your 6.0 version, disconnect from the Net before attempting an install.  It may then succeed.  Of course, you can install any version released prior to end of license period.  Or test drive later unlicensed versions.