Video noise reduction and computer specifications

Sylvain Eckhardt

Hello! I upgraded my videopad from 7.10 to 10.84 (or something like that) to be able to apply noise reduction among other things. But, I guess my computer is too slow, it is very very slow and can't make it... I'm running a test and I try to apply and export a 12 second lasting video and it has been running for 9 hours and the exportation is only 60% complete... My computer is so slow that the preview of the effect is not running, so for a new effect it is impossible to adjust it properly. What kind of specification for a computer would be OK to make it work? How long should it take in theory to apply noise reduction on a 4 minutes long video?

I'm kind of in a hurry, since I have to send a video to a festival within a few days, so I wouldn't be mad if somebody does it for me ;) . Here's the drive link to the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E-ngSCW0iXMyPc0Moaa_O-fXlCmKnLy5/view?usp=sharing

• Sylvain Eckhardt changed the title to Video noise reduction and computer specifications

Video editing is resource intensive.  One site's recommendations...

• Memory/ RAM: 8-32 GB RAM (ideally at minimum 16GB)
  • Processor: Multi-core Intel i5/i7/i9 preferably with 4 or more processor cores.
  • Storage: At least 256 GB hard drive, 7200 RPM, preferably SSD.

On lesser systems VP handles simple productions well.  Realistically, noise reduction is unsuitable for anything more than a short clip, as the pop up warns...

image.png   A few seconds after making changes, they should be evident in preview.  Toggle presets, to test.

But your video doesn't appear to be truly noisy and might benefit more from the Auto Fix effect.  Fades need to be added on a second export pass as Auto Fix removes them.  The result has some noise, but contrast and brightness are markedly improved.  To save time and improve quality the exports are at 1024x576.

Further improvement may be realized If this export is then reloaded and then put through the noise reduction process (50% noise / zero smoothing).  But the NR improvement likely isn't worth the six-hour processing time.

A simpler alternative, with similar results, may be had via the Color adjustment effect.  Experiment with settings similar to these, and a 1080 export...

image.png