Pixelated images when zooming

HEC

I created this video https://www.ergo-travel.com/APICS/GreatArtCities-promo4a.mp4 using the latest VideoPad but the first 5 seconds shows a very pixelated zoom which I can't figure out how to eliminate. The original clip is a high-resolution (6000x3376) image but the final video can't get anywhere near this. All the other clips used in this video are of a much lower resolution but the results are still far better than this first bit.

Ironically, I had created an earlier take of this video using VideoPad 5 prior to upgrading it to the latest version, the same project file with with all the same original clips, and despite the fact that this is a much smaller file the zoom is far better: https://www.ergo-travel.com/APICS/GreatArtCities-promo3.mp4

Is there something I can do about this? Would appreciate any advice and suggestions to overcome this. Thanks!

Please upload that source clip, for inspection.   Just the first shot - not the export or other clips.

Someone will check it out.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Thanks! So that's why the rest of the video doesn't have this problem.

Just curious though - what if I wanted variable speed to the pan and/or zoom? That's what I did with the original video, which slows down before stopping. The Zoom function allows key frames and adjustable transitions. 

Zoom isn't working right, and it's been reported.

In this case you might pre-produce the Burns effect.  Then bring it in from another sequence or export.  Split it and right-click | Change Clip Speed.

Movement won't be gradual unless the timeline is chopped up into several clips of slightly varying speeds.

Thanks for this. Hope they fix the zoom function soon, or else incorporate the key frames into Pan & Zoom/Burns so that it's all integrated into a single function.

Sorry I have one more question about the Pan & Zoom:
when I include this into a clip, the start frame is start exactly where the clip is located. This means that if I were to have a cross fade transition from a previous clip, this clip will not begin to do the pan/zoom until the middle of the cross fade, which means that the clip itself will begin to appear as a still before the effect begins. Is there a workaround for this so that I can begin a cross fade with the second clip already in the midst of panning/zooming?

Another approach...

Pre-produce a zoomed clip, then place it on the timeline after another clip.

Under OPTIONS | EDITING tab choose ASK ME for the default video transition.

Now specify a Crossfade between the clips.  If a prompt appears;  choose OVERLAP.

Be aware that this choice, as contrasted with FREEZE, may slightly change sync, if that's a factor at that point in your project.

Hi

I downloaded your jpg image 6000 x 3376 and loaded it into VP 10.43 (32 bit) with a default image duration set to 10 seconds.

A zoom back from the centre to full screen using a keyframe at the start and a keyframe at the end and the then exported as a 1920 x 1080 mp4 produced a  clip with a smooth zoom out of excellent quality. I got no judders at all.

Nat

Hi

"...... You must have beefed up your box, Nat.😄 ......"

:) No. same old Vista system!  Bit of difference in definition with your two images. There is a delay in getting a sharp preview image when setting up a zoom with such a large image and mine looked pretty clear on export as I didn't zoom in quite to your area so did a repeat on the same area as yours.

This is the area I started with in my first zoom test with this jpg. It's the first first frame from VLC 1920 x 1080 mp4 ....

z.jpg

This looks acceptable and the zoom out was smooth.

However...Odd result on a repeat though..... I hadn't closed VP so I simply readjusted the first keyframe to outline a smaller area (the same as yours) and waited for the VP previews to become les blurred (clear)  They didn't- and the export was rubbish. (VERY blurred. )  Back in VP the previews had remained blurred until I clicked the (still blue) FX box to bring up the zoom effect window, whereupon the previews suddenly got much sharper. However the export was again rubbish.

Playing around a bit I found hat setting a keyframe made it suddenly blur. Clicking the blue FX box sharpened it again. Setting a second keyframe made it blur (full frame image in the preview this time) then re clicking FX sharpened it again. Export still crap though. Distinctly poorer than the very first export (image above).

Here is VP with blurred previews after a keyframe was set... This didn't happen first time around)

Before FX.jpg

Here it is after the blue FX box re-clicked...

after.jpg

Suddenly sharper..but export rubbish.

Maybe graphics memory prob but in this instance not usable with this particular image although it worked just fine first time around.

Nat

This is what I managed to export after following Borate's advice on P&Z and multitracking (some of) the clips for better transitions: 
https://www.ergo-travel.com/APICS/GreatArtCities-promo.mp4

Strangely, the P&Z transitions originally done using the 5.x show very smooth transitions despite not layering the clips, but the moment I click on the transition to edit or even just look at it, the problem of the zoom starting halfway through the cross-fade will then appear. I've had to  cut and paste a few extra clips to an overlaying track to adjust the transitions before I stopped clicking on the rest to save my sanity and time.

Ideally, I'd like to see the Zoom effect done away with completely, to be taken over by the P&Z eventually incorporate keyframing to allow for variable speed as well as automatically start at the beginning of a transition. I'm not sure if there ever will be any use of a zoom or pan that starts in the middle of a transition between one clip and another, but if keyframing is incorporated then it could always be achieved using that.

Grateful to Borate for the very detailed advice. Thanks!

• borate changed the title to Pixelated images when zooming