Specifying export directory (Posting suggestions)

nichtdiemama

Because all these forms or lets say basically the whole website isn't really working.  Oh and stop it with these built in support chat windows. All you need nowadays for support is Telegram and Teamviewer ;)

Soo my biggest suggestion is: Please could you realize that videopad exports the video file automatically to the same folder as the source and with the same name but with _a or _1 behind it? With this feature it would be the best video editor worldwide all over tha interwebz. I saw a lot of them and I really have to say videopad even kills the big ones.

Hi

"....Soo my biggest suggestion is: Please could you realize that videopad exports the video file automatically to the same folder as the source and with the same name but with _a or _1 behind it? ...."

Under Options/Export it is you who define the export folder for your finished video. Once this is done VP will use this as the default export folder. This could be the source folder for the clips used in the project. It is up to you to decide on this.

It is more than likely however that source clips are held in several different locations or folders and so your suggestion to use the same folder would be difficult to implement without some re-organizing of your clips on your part beforehand. Even so you would still need to enter the name of this folder in Options/Export  As regards the name...Initially your export will not have a name and as it is often made up of differently named clips VP cannot select one. As a consequence, and unless you stipulate it, the video is exported as an "Untitled." file. The next export saved to that particular folder will have an incremental number..."Untitled 1." etc. This is automatic and is the Windows convention that prevents overwriting of files. AFAIK This is the only incremental name that VP can use unless you convert your timeline to a sequence which will have incremental numbers.

However, you have the opportunity to give a name for your finished video in the Export Video window and subsequent saves to the same export location using the same name will bring up a message to say the name has been used. It will not, in this case increment the name (although one might have thought it would.) The bottom line is that VP will revert to Untitled (plus increment) 

Nat

4 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Under Options/Export it is you who define the export folder for your finished video. Once this is done VP will use this as the default export folder. This could be the source folder for the clips used in the project. It is up to you to decide on this.

Well this is extactly what I mean. Yes I can define a default-folder in options I know. but I want an option that it always chooses to save in the same directory as the source file.  I have seen enough programs that can do this, if video editor or not that's not the matter.  U want to tell me I should change the default save folder everytime before exporting?  Well then I can stick with always choosing directory while exporting.

• borate changed the title to Specifying export directory (Posting suggestions here instead over the form...)

Hi

"........but I want an option that it always chooses to save in the same directory as the source file. ...."

Your particular way of working would seem to suggest that your source files are all in the same folder. That's great and in my opinion it's probably the proper way to go and it's tidy. An option like you suggest could be made to work if that was always the case. However I'm pretty sure many users have source files for a video they are creating in different folders, perhaps because they need to actually keep them separate.(Once selected and in the bin, VP knows where they have come from) In these situations which would be the source folder for VP to export to?  

As mentioned you can set a default folder. Now...If you always use this for your source files at the start that's where your export will go automatically. It would be a simple matter to Cut/Past the contents to a dedicated video folder when all is finished so leaving the default folder empty as the "new" source folder. There would be no need to change the name each time. It would automatically come up in the box. (See Borate's post above)

In fact VP already does something like this when you save your work as a Portable Project. In this case the source files are copied into a numbered/dated folder along with a vpj file.

It ought to be possible to do something like this  by having an option that exports the finished video along with the copied constituent files (plus a vpj as well possibly)  A bit of an overkill perhaps but at least everything plus the end product would be in one place automatically even if the original clips were all sprinkled everywhere. 

Nat

• borate changed the title to Specifying export directory (Posting suggestions)
  • 4 weeks later...