Visualizing Audio

custodian

When I operate my video and audio equipment, it works in the space it's in.  When I take the captured raw video for editing, I always need to raise the audio level, between 150 and 300%.  This isn't difficult and I am almost automatic in my execution. 

My issue is that the sound visualization is almost a flat line.  Thus when I need to edit based on sound, the visual for breaks is very difficult to find.  

Could we add a 'zoom' feature to the audio visualization?  I'm not asking to see a smaller timeline, but a taller waveform.

Double-clicking on the audio clip track will open the larger waveform in the preview window, where keyframes can be added to adjust volume.

But having the timeline waveform track the amplitude would be welcomed.  Suggest it by right-clicking the chevron at the top-right of the VP window.

There is a little trick you might try...

Right-click the clip audio track and, if available EDIT WITH WAVEPAD.  Make adjustments there, then click the top-right X to close and OK the prompts.  The change in gain will be reflected on the VP timeline waveform.

Borate,

In this case, I am not trying to edit the audio, but use the audio track to do my video cropping, cutting, setting the beginning or end, etc.  I have no issue with the audio tools, just the visualization.  I'm hoping that makes sense.

Beyond the 'trick' there's nothing that will increase the heighth of the waveform, beyond the expansion available via the chevron.

image.png

But try MENU | VIEW | SHOW DUAL PREVIEWS.  then double-click the clip's audio track, and see if that helps.

Hi

Doing this (above)  will show details on the Clip Preview sound line that are not visible in the Audio track. e.g. Below is a  very quiet clip that has sound at a low level. In VP the audio track is just a line with no peaks visible. With dual displays you can use the short white bar to pull the preview panes down when some details may become visible.......

z.jpg

Even so they are not particularly brilliant. However with dual displays you can either play the Clip Preview (audio) or drag the preview red cursor line along to the right when the Timeline cursor will move in tandem. In this way you will be able to visually monitor the audio using what peaks there are and edit the sequence at the timeline cursor position. Even low level peaks will show up.

Can you up the gain on your recording equipment so the peaks are more evident when the clips are run in VP?

Nat

Nat,

Thanks, your response tells me that I am at least communicating my goal.

I have been making tweaks to my AV setup with limited success, but as these are the sound and video boards for a church sanctuary I have limits.  I need the room (aka sanctuary) to sound good too, thus the post processing.  I often take clips and dress them for an eventual church service to be steamed on Facebook or uploaded to YouTube.  As I am not responsible for all the clips, I have to make my levels match theirs. 

Usually I am trying to flash some text at appropriate moments.  Setting the text tight to the audio queue is my most common goal.

• 3 weeks later...

Try this...

1.       Open VideoPad Main Window -> Home tab -> Options -> Media Tab

2.       Confirm the checkbox “Automatically normalize audio volume of external audio/ video files” is checked.

3.       Uncheck this checkbox.

4.       Clean the VideoPad cache under OPTIONS | DISK tab (to delete low volume sound cache).

5.       Restart VideoPad.  Add file. Wait for sound cache process end and add file on the timeline.