Recording resetting to beginning on shutdown

Smadar

Since I got my new laptop, every time the laptop runs out of battery, any recording I am working on goes back to the beginning.  This never happened before with previous laptops.  Has anybody come across this and any suggestions what I can do?

Probably, when the computer shuts down, the program does not have time to save the work on progress.  You may want to save your notes and close the program before the battery runs out, because the program itself does not offer an option to auto-save on shut down. 

this has always happened to me on my desktop if I've had a power glitch and not closed the program properly.  It just doesn't remember where it was, so it must only save that information on shut down (i.e. if you exit the program normally).  If I know my power is a bit flaky (storms around etc) then I just close the program now and then for it to save where I'm up to at that point and open it again.  That way (for long recordings) I don't have so much to skip through to find my place.  Sometimes I type on the blank line below where I'm typing (and obviously delete that at the end of my work) where I'm up to on the recording, so again even if it's not a 100% accurate timestamp it puts me in the ballpark if something unexpected happens.

Interesting as it never happened on my old laptop, so I have never come across that.  I don't type notes in Express Scribe, I just use it to listen and then write it up in Word, but your idea of just typing something at the point I'm at is not bad.  I might use that, thank you.  Just interesting I have never had it before and I have been using this software for over 10 years.