Lagging, stuttering, breaking, unsmooth playback

Dele Praise

When I applied video effects on my video specifically denoising to clean up, my video started lagging, stuttering and all of the above I mentioned in the title. I really don't like this, why is this!? I wish this wasn't so. Only a part of the selected clip was eventually able to play with the denoise effect the rest Zero, i.e that's where the inconsistencies started: lagging, stuttering, blackscreen, e.t.c.

Secondly I found out that in the simple text overlay template in videopad in the "Add Text" button, I was unable to change the font size from 20 to another figure after several attempts of trying to, I was only able to do so when I used another text layout/template. 

The former is more important for me though right now.

PS: I thought Videopad supported average system requirements.

• Dele Praise changed the title to LAGGING, STUTTERING, BREAKING, UMSMOOTH PLAYBACK

Sound like you are overloading the system.

When ever you apply an effect new cache files need to be generated, and that takes time.

Go for a coffee break and try again. Hopefully the processor usage will have come down again after v.p. has worked trough its back log of things to do in the background.

v.p. is o.k. for small simple video edits. But it can easily grind down any system with its background work queue.

VP certainly does support average systems.

What version is being used?  Try the latest 64-bit release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

In the text compose window, select (highlight) the text.  Then you should be able to change font, size, color, etc.

To be clear, you applied the VIDEO noise reduction?  As a pop up will warn, noise reduction takes a very long time (and should be used sparingly).  Allow the green cache line above the thumbnails to fully complete.  Then preview should be smooth.  Take Uberprutser's advice - grab a cup of coffee.

One approach you might test, if you must use noise reduction for the entire project, is to edit without it - then Save AS.  Then apply NR to the sequence by clicking the Sequences tab above the bin (top-left).  Right-click to see the effects choice.  Apply the reduction.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

• borate changed the title to Lagging, stuttering, breaking, unsmooth playback
1 hour ago, Dele Praise said:

Chevron?

image.png

Sequences tab above the bin (top-left)?

image.png   If Sequences tab isn't shown, create a new sequence on the timeline by clicking the + sign to the right of Sequence One.

Upload the project, per the instructions above, and someone will check it out.

Thank you. But first of, I don't really understand the Upload: Google drive, MS one drive part. Next of I was just trying to save the video first, let me see if it was going to be Smooth and Non-laggy eventually (the output) before i saw your replies and for over 4hrs 2% had not even completed in the video saving/export. The last % I saw it in was 1.5%. The last duration I saw that had completely been processed by VideoPad via the export was 20 secs no cap. I finally decided to terminate everything but I made my last save. Now with the delay in saving would uploading it via what you said not even waste more time, won't it take forever?

Saving a project is not the same as exporting.  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves. That protects what you have already edited.  Double clicking on a VPJ file loads the project just as it was when the Save AS was done.

Exporting is the final step, when editing is complete.  This can take some time for lengthy projects, but what you describe hints at a problem.

Skipping the denoising when constructing the project will likely solve the issue.  Tell us if that effect was applied to just a clip or two - or to the entire project.

Sharing the back-up folder of the project takes only minutes.  It's not the same as saving or exporting.  This will allow others to run the project just as you do, and test an export.

To upload, place the fully edited project on the timeline, WITHOUT the denoise effect being applied to any clip. 

Click the MENU at the top-left of the Window, click FILE, and then Back up Project Files to a folder. 

image.png

Upload that folder, per the instructions above, to the free server of your choice.  If you already have a Google or MS account, just log in to Google Drive or One Drive.  The former has a 15GB limit for all Google files (including your gMail), while OneDrive has a 5GB limit.

After you have created the back-up folder, right-click on it and click on PROPERTIES.  Look at the size to see that it's not too large for your free server allocation.  An example:image.png

If all is well, follow the steps above to complete the upload, share and paste process.

It was first applied to a clip and then the clip refused to keep on playing without lagging, thereafter I tried applying to all (the entire clip) before saving in hopes that the software will smoothing everything while trying to save it but the time..

Do you mean that denoise was first applied to a clip, and later applied to the entire project?  Either way, that effect is going to be very slow to cache.

We can pin down the issue if you share the project, as above.  Don't apply the denoise effect to anything - just mention here where you want to use it.

Hi hello so I have backed up but I really don't know how to go about uploading it as have never done it before: through those channels. Pls can you put me through on how to go about it, if it isn't much trouble? In the meantime I'll also find out how to go about it on my own. Thank you.

Uploading your project isn't difficult, especially if you already have a Google or Microsoft account.  Just follow these four steps carefully.

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

Before you upload the Back-Up folder that you saved by clicking FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER, right-click on that folder and click PROPERTIES.  Confirm that the file size is not larger than your allocation on the server, or the upload will fail.

Again, remove the denoise effect from your project before backing up.  Then specify here where you intended to use it.  Which clips?  Or was it for the entire project?

Yes it was for the entire project.

Am guessing I was just supposed to go online, search for one drive from there and the rest is history. The Backup folder size is 1.31GB Sir and I do not have access to a WIFI network here as am from Nigeria. It's mobile data we use here (most people) and it's actually very cost intensive.

1.31GB isn't large, but via slow WiFi at mobile data rates certainly could be costly.

If the project plays smoothly in VP 64-bit, without noise reduction, then you have discovered the bottleneck.  If  contents are not cached, playback can be jumpy.

At the rate that the denoise module caches, applying it to an entire project is nearly prohibitive.   Don't know the length of your project, but to give you an idea ... applying NR at default settings to a :55 clip here took over fifteen minutes.  And if you change settings or edit the clip the process will begin anew.

You may just have to do without that enhancement.  No matter how you treat this, Save Project AS regularly for protection.  Give each save a unique # or name.

I shot the video before having my bath in the morning the day I shot it and I had some Lofnac gel on my head because of a swelling, so the denoise effect was to kind of hide the imperfections (the oil on my head, my unbrushed beard, e.t.c. Me deciding to do a retake on the video is not only time consuming/time costly, but I would not be able to give out the same message as organically and as deep as I did before. The message delivery was perfect (straight from the heart) it's just appearance of the person who shot it. Of course have learnt my lesson but i don't really know what to do at this point.

There's little more you can do, considering that an upload isn't feasible.

Suggest, as before, that you eliminate all denoise effects and then export.  That should be smooth and go relatively quickly.

Sorry, but what you want doesn't seem practical - if even possible.  A few denoised clips, yes.  The entire project, no.