Cropping Files

MwhVid

I'm putting together a video that is a compilation of clips people recorded on phones and pictures, also taken on phones. Is it possible to crop these images and videos so that they take up more of the screen and the black sides are less? I couldn't figure out how to zoom/crop manually other than right clicking and selecting crop then changing the ratio to 16:9, but that cuts the top and bottom of the image off. I'm relatively new at this, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Several effects may do the job ... ZOOM, SCALE. CROP. etc.   A portion of the image may be lost in the translation, but can be positioned to highlight the best area.

Upload a few assorted examples (zip them if appropriate) and someone may have specific suggestions.

Use a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.

Using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Thanks so much. I figured out the cropping, but now I am having a hard time with transitions between video clips. I took a few screenshots and they're in a google folder here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3J8uJirgKiLZD8JA

I have 2 questions:

1) I have 2 video clips, and the transition between the 2 is only showing up on the first. If I try to change the duration it only lets me increase it to 0.012 total, but it's still only on the first clip (I just want to fade between the 2). This is the "Transitions.jpg" file.

2) Is it possible to make a transition not evenly balanced between 2 clips? I have a title at the beginning of the sequence, and I want that to slowly fade out then fade into the first clip but don't want to take a lot off the first clip (a lot of my clips don't have any extra footage on the ends). This is the TextCrop.jpg file.

If there's a tutorial I should watch feel free to point me in that direction. Thank you!

Keep in mind that clips must be long enough to accommodate the transition.

On clip 1, split the clip at the point you want the fade out to occur.  Then click the FX icon in that split out section, choose TRANSPARENCY.  In the Preset drop-down menu, click FADE OUT.  It will prompt for a duration.

On clip 2 open effects and scroll down to FADE IN.  Set the length.

Under the OPTIONS menu | EDITING tab, for Video Clip Transitioning choose ASK ME.

Then, when there is no excess video at the head or end of a clip, you should get a prompt.  Tell it to Freeze.

Share a few clips where you want a transition, and how long they are to be, and someone will check them out...

Just upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.

Using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Hi

Depending on the clip content you could also try splitting it as far from the end as possible...say just after they have finished talking and then right clicking on the split off end section and selecting to change the clip speed. (i.e. duration.) This should allow a bit more clip to use for and end transition. Note that the sound on the altered section may need to be re-dubbed or a section copied from earlier in the clip and put in to replace the altered section. Alternatively do the spllt and then unlink the sound. It won't then be affected by the speed change and can be used to make the copy

Nat