Image crops automatically

RabbitEars

I am trying to create a 16:9 video where a piano being played is on the left, and lyrics to the song appear on the right. The piano clip is a standard video file.

The lyrics are in separate images. The images were created in Powerpoint and exported as individual jpgs, I believe the size was about 20cm x 20cm. 

When I add the image to the timeline, it appears in the centre of the 16:9 screen (i.e., two black bars on either side). When I use Effects / Position to shift, the image 'crops itself', so that anything beyond the centre, bits of the left and right sides of the image get blacked out. 

When I go to 'clip preview', I notice that the background of the image is not the same size as the original / 16:9 background. I suspect that's the problem but I don't know how to fix it.

Also, I have about 40 of these images to place on my video clip, so while I don't mind a tedious fix, if a one-time solution can be suggested I'd be very grateful.

Any help would be appreciated.

Prior to positioning or scaling the images, try applying the Letterbox Aspect ratio effect.  Click on it.  There's a drop-down box with many ratios to choose from.

image.png

An effect, or several, can be saved by clicking the envelope in the effects toolbar.  Then it becomes just another clickable effect in the list (at the bottom).

Effects can be applied to ALL selected clips via the toolbar "Replace effect chain" green button, second from the right.   image.png

If these measures don't do the job, please share your project.  It's easy, quick and can be private.  Follow these steps carefully...

Someone will take a look and come up with a fix.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Click COPY LINK | DONE.
  •     Share ---    Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Hi

Have you tried using the Split Screen effect?

• Go to Options/Display and set up Dual Displays as it's easier to monitor things.
  • Place the piano clip on Video track 1
  • Click the FX and and select the Split Screen effect. Set this to Horizontal 2 and select Side A.  Now click Fit to Region. This will place the 16:9 clip of the piano in the centre of the left hand side of the split screen
  • Place the lyric images (or generate text images within VP) onto Video track 2 and move them to their required time positions.
  • For each one select the Split screen effect and put them on the right.. Box B
  • Adjust the position and if necessary offset.

I used text clips here to give something like what I think you are after .....

ccc.jpg

Using text files they could be added as a single clip and then scrolled vertically to match the music but obviously if you have individual images they will work just as well

Nat