Stuck on "processing audio" (never stops)

CosmologistsWithoutBorders

Let's see this video, so we can try to replicate what you see.  Please share it by uploading to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive.  Get a shareable (public) link, copy it and paste it here or in a Private Message to me (click the mail envelope at the right-top of this forum).

What version of Videopad is being run?   What's the format, resolution, and length of this file?

• borate changed the title to Stuck on "processing audio" message

Loaded up in less than fifteen seconds here, using VP version 8.97, which you apparently already have.

So unable to replicate the issue.  See if this version does the same, and report back.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Thanks so much for the link. Yes, I installed the version you sent me for version 8.45, and it is no longer stuck on "Processing".

However, the video is appearing as an icon in the audio tab on the top left and not in the video tab, and when i drag it into the bottom right section, it doesn't appear to be a video file there because it doesn't have all those lines showing you the audio level.  And when I hit "Play" anyway, the cursor appears to be showing the audio advancing, but no audio is playing so I can't hear anything.

Humm...

Tested your file in version 8.45 and it worked fine, as a video file.  Retested using v8.97 on a low-end PC and that too succeeded, though loading of audio took about thirty-seconds.  So, sorry, but cannot replicate your result.  Try it on another machine, if available.

One more thought.  Using 8.97, click OPTIONS | MEDIA tab and uncheck "Automatically normalize volume of external audio."

Be sure that your video driver and Direct-X are up to date.  https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

Hi

Video of 1hr 13 mins 43 seconds. Played OK in VLC but although the first 39 seconds plays sound (Opening squence) it is at a very low volume. Following that audio seems fine.

Using

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500@ 2.2GHz, 2.0 GB RAM
NVIDEA GeForce GT 730.

From an empty cache file, your video loaded to VP clip bin in 7 seconds.and  it loaded FULLY to the timeline (full green bar) in around 20 mins, although it could be played with no hangups from almost the start. Audio track appeared immediately.The CPU was running during this time at 50%  - 98%

So, apart from being a bit slow which is to be expected with this PC and and starting with an  empty cache it seemed OK

Nat

Thanks Nat, but do I have to do something in VideoPad to empty the cache???

Borate, thanks for the link to the video driver... i used that and all the drivers are up to date.

I also tried:

click OPTIONS | MEDIA tab and uncheck "Automatically normalize volume of external audio."

...for both 8.97 and 8.45 but that didn't help.

Very frustrating. On version 8.97 it still gets stuck with "Processing" error.  On version 8.45, it doesn't load any icon to the video tab, only to the audio tab. And now getting this error message:

"There was an error loading one or more of the effect or transition icons."

Hi

It should be pointed out that when you have completed projects copies of all the files associated with those projects remain stored in the cache and unless the cache is emptied from time to time it can fill up with a large quantity of unwanted (or unused) data. If you do this when VP is empty the cache will be totally cleared, including, however files you may be currently using.  The correct (?) way to use the cache is to first load the project and THEN clear the unused cache files. Old files are then cleared leaving just the current project files. 

Loading a project to a completely empty cache can take much longer than to a cache containg the current files.

Nat

Hello,

I am having a similar problem. I "recorded" video files from my old Sony camcorder (Digital8 format using Hi8 tapes) using a firewire. The Clip (tape) is just over an hour long. I break the Clip into Sequences because I'm assuming that when I output it to a DVD Movie, the Sequences will become "DVD Chapters". (I don't really know if this is true; I'm a newbie at VideoPad, having just purchased it today. VP Professional v8.97.) Some of the Sequences have the video & audio out-of-sync. I then unlink the A/V of the individual Sequence and sync them back up manually. When I'm "happy" with everything (not happy about taking so long...), I Export Video to a DVD Movie and I get a "Processing Sound Clips, please wait..." message with the scrolling bar. It's been an hour already... still waiting.

So I have 3 questions:

1. Why is the audio getting out-of-sync?
  2. WTF w/ the Processing Sound Clips?
  3. Do Sequences become DVD Chapters when exported to DVD?

I bought the s/w because I have about 25 tapes of family, etc. that I want to get into DVD format.

I appreciate any help you can give.

GWBuffalo wrote:  I'm assuming that when I output it to a DVD Movie, the Sequences will become "DVD Chapters".

Here's the scoop on chapters.  If you need more extensive authoring check out Express Burn.

Why is the audio getting out-of-sync?

Hard to say without seeing the project.  Share it as instructed below.  It's easy, quick and can be private.

WTF w/ the Processing Sound Clips?

Again, we need to see it.  Using as few sequences as practicable is suggested.  Try using a single sequence, with bookmarks, as suggested in the link above.

Or do one sequence at a time, to lessen the processing load (though a lower-res one-hour project should be no problem).  Save each sequence with a unique name by using Save AS.  Click the chevron to the right of the SAVE button on the toolbar to see that choice or use the Menu at the top-left and click FILE | SAVE PROJECT FILES AS.

To share the project...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Click COPY LINK | DONE.
  •     Share ---    Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

WOW!!! Thanks for the quick reply!! That's fantastic!! Much appreciated!! 👏👏👏

Thanks also for the tip on Chapters.

I'm trying to trim the file down for the uploading process, but it seems to want to include the entire 1-hour Video Recording which is ~13 GB. I don't think you want me to upload that, do you? At one point, I was experimenting with the video stabilization processing and it seems to include that .avi file.

I would like to keep it private, but I don't see a folder at the top-right of this forum.

Please advise. Thank you.

The envelope at the top-right of this forum looks like image.png.

Do a back up.  If it's more than 3GB don't bother to upload the folder. 

Instead consider exporting each sequence - one at a time - as an mp4 or AVI file.  It's then simply a clip.  Later, merge the exported clips, adding bookmarks between them.  Then burn the DVD.

Or in the DVD movie export dialogue choose ISO instead of the burner.  An ISO is a DVD image that can later be burned to disk using Express Burn. 

This can help assess whether the size of the project will fit onto a disk.  Owing to capacity,  multiple disks, each containing several of the exported sequences, may be needed.

Should one of the sequences have the sync or processing audio issue, please follow the instructions above to share it.

I am trying to download a video but it says: "Processing Sound Clips". This has not happened in the past so I have no idea how to fix it. I have tried to clear cache and start project all over again with no effect. I am also using the latest (real) update since demo version didnt help.  Hopefully you can help me.

Install the latest version.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Are you attempting to add a video to a Videopad project, or export the project

If the former, please upload the video file to a free server, get a shareable link, copy the link and paste it here or in private to me via the envelope at the top-right of this forum.

If the latter...

Share the project.  Someone will take a look and come up with a fix.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.*  Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. Change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view"  Click COPY LINK | DONE.
  •     Share ---    Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• borate changed the title to Stuck on "processing audio" (never stops)
On 11/28/2020 at 2:29 AM, borate said:

The envelope at the top-right of this forum looks like image.png

I will send you two short ISO files that are from the same raw footage: one is IN sync, the other is OUT.

The initial project above was scrapped after I was able to transfer a 2nd tape to ISO, then to DVD disc without any sync problems. I guess I convinced myself that the original file was corrupted. Then I tried a third tape and the sync problem is happening again.

The clip I will send come at the end of a one-hour tape. It seems like the A/V mismatch is worse at the end of the 1-hour clip. I wonder if the file is just too large when it is a single clip/sequence. Also, I add bookmarks to the sequence to be used as chapters (as you advised - thank you!), but I'm wondering if it loses sync slightly when I move the cursor back-&-forth in my attempt to position the bookmark precisely.

The clip that is IN sync was a 2nd video capture, but only of the footage at the end of the tape. I hope you can figure out what is going on.

Do I need to break up the video capture into several clips/sequences? The recording function doesn't seem to like it when the tape is paused, so maybe you can give me some suggestions of how to break it up.

Thank you again for all your help!!

GWBuffalo

Thanks for the files via PM.

What needs to be inspected is the sequence containing the captured content, not the exported ISO.  Is the sync problem evident on the timeline, after the capture?  Or only after 'burning' the ISO?   Without lip-sync slippage can be difficult to assess.

Please upload the project from which these ISOs were made, per the above instructions, and someone will check it out.

Sorry the ISO files weren't useful. The projects I'm doing are mostly videos of my daughter as she has grown over the years. The ones I've done so far focus on her and she's too young to talk. I thought the clips of my father playing guitar would easily show the slippage. I'm simply trying to transfer camcorder video to DVD. I guess I'll keep going and look for clips with adults talking that are out of sync.

To answer your question, the sync problem is indeed evident in the timeline sequence after the capture, not burning the ISO. (The burning process appears to preserve whatever the A/V sync is, IN or OUT.) I still suspect it has to do with the "fine tuning" I did when adding the bookmarks.

What about my observation above? The file with the extension .dv created by VP is in-sync. Any ideas on how to create an ISO or DVD with that file?

-0-0-

Here's a new wrinkle: there is a video file with the extension .dv that was created by VP. It is of the full 1-hour video and IT IS TOTALLY IN SYNC when I view it with an application called "All media player". The ENTIRE hour! It is not in-sync when I view it with VP.

Thanks.

Yes, both files submitted by PM are out, when viewed in a media player - with #2 far worse.  So apparently it's not bookmarks and not DVD creation causing the issue, but the initial transfer itself.

Do a test with Debut and see if results are better.  Try various output formats.

As to your DV query...

Ran a test DV format export of a one-minute+ project, which was in sync both in VP and in a video player.  Then created a DVD Movie ISO from that file.  There's no need to go through the extra step of exporting in DV format.  With the project fully loaded, click EXPORT | DVD MOVIE.  If you want a video copy, export VIDEO as mp4, AVI, MOV, etc.