FINALLY Transitioning . . . From Version 2.41

ad101867

Yeah, you read that correctly: version 2.41.  My old computer - running on Windows 7 - died recently, and of course the new one came with Win10.  But you can't install VideoPad 2.41 on Win10.  Therefore after all this time being supremely content with 2.41, I now have to upgrade VideoPad.

Okay, fine, I can adapt to a new version.  But the real problem is: what version(s) of VideoPad will load projects I made in 2.41???????

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi

The structure of the vpj file for earlier versions was different to the later ones. So you may not get the same result.

e.g. with 2.41.....

aa.jpg

...and with 8.77......

v877.jpg

So you may not get to load you old vpj file to a later version of VP and get back exactly what you originally saved. I'm not sure which version was in vogue when the changes occurred. I thick the structure of the cache also changed around that time.

Nat

No, it's Win10 that I wanted it to be compatible for.  But alas that can't be altered. 🙁

Thanks, both of you.  Question: What was the next edition of VP following 2.41?  Maybe I could install that on Win10 and it might still load my 2.41 projects in "normal" fashion.

As the 2.4x series was likely a product of the XP or Win 7 era, the compatibility tool tries to fool Win 10 into running the older-gen program.  Worth a try.

Set it for Win 7.  If that doesn't allow an install, try XP.

A list of legacy VP releases can be found here.  Ignore any virus warnings.

• 1 month later...

Borate, trying XP in compatibility mode worked!!!!!!!!!!  You're my hero!!!!!!!!  Now I can resume my old projects and get them out of the way before trying a new VP edition.

Speaking of which ... I was temporarily experimenting with 8.91.  I noticed immediately that when you crop, the resulting clip isn't recentered by VP.  How can I recenter it so as to maintain the original theatrical black bars?

Hi

"...Speaking of which ... I was temporarily experimenting with 8.91.  I noticed immediately that when you crop, the resulting clip isn't recentered by VP.  How can I recenter it so as to maintain the original theatrical black bars? ...."

A re-centering option was suggested some time ago but has not yet been implemented.  The nearest thing is probably to count the chequered squares Left/Right and Top/bottom

Same with Top/Bottom

Nat