Stopwatch speed in sync with video speed

glau

I have a video where I have a section that displays a stopwatch. The segment is pretty long, around 20 seconds. I would like to speed up the middle portion, say from when the stopwatch is at 2 sec to 18 sec. The problem is when I create the splits, the stopwatch effectively splits into three distinct timers, each starting back at 00:00:00. What I want to happen is that the stopwatch displays and counts from 0:00:00.000 to roughly 0:00:02.000 in normal speed, then play 0:00:02.00 to 0:00:18.00 at 4x with the stopwatch numbers also playing at the fast speed keeping the timing sequence, then at 0:00:18.00 to 0:00:20.00 back at 1x. I tried adjusting the three stopwatches with different starting values but that did not seem to work. It kept the same starting value for all three timers.

•  Click the + sign at the right of the Sequence 1 tab, to create a new, blank Sequence 2...
  •  Lay down the video clip that will be sped up and overlay the stopwatch.  Adjust its animation and clip duration to match video length.
  •  Click the Sequence 1 tab, to return to the main sequence. Position the cursor where you want to insert the newly created clock clip.
  •  Click the Sequences tab in the bin, right-click on Sequence 2 and PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR. (Or simply drag the clip to the timeline.)
  •  Split-out the segment to be sped up and apply the speed change.

Hi

"........What I want to happen is that the stopwatch displays and counts from 0:00:00.000 to roughly 0:00:02.000 in normal speed, then play 0:00:02.00 to 0:00:18.00 at 4x with the stopwatch numbers also playing at the fast speed keeping the timing sequence, then at 0:00:18.00 to 0:00:20.00 back at 1x........"

This is too difficult.... Example with just the timer...

• Place the clock on the timeline and extend it to 20 seconds. It will play then play from 0:00.00  to 0:20.00
  • Save this as a Sequence by clicking the + that follows Sequence 1 x at the left end of the track. This will clear the timeline and place the 20 second timer clip in the Sequence bin.
  • Drag and drop the "new" sequence from the bin back to the timeline
  • Play the clip to the 2 second point and split the clip
  • Play the clip to the 18 second point and split the clip
  • Right click the central section between the splits and in change the speed to 400%

The clip will now play 0 - 2 secs normal;   2-18 secs speeded up 4X  and 18- 20 normal

You can if you wish save this as another sequence to use in your project.

Nat

• borate changed the title to Stopwatch speed in sync with video speed