FireWire miniDV with VideoPad

Russ Croucher

Yes I know the the source file is a customer's private file.  I wasn't really expecting you to import my file I would figure you could use something that's an AVI file and compare the difference.  I'm looking at the difference in the speeds between 7.51 and 8.0 and beyond.  It's a good 4 times difference.  It's a very big file.  A full one hour of this file took video pad 30 minutes with 7.51 and 3 hours with 10.52 with the same project file.  I'm just try to get some ideas from you guys with what I should do.

A 20-minute AVI at 854x480 was exported three times...

7.51     2:46

10.57(64)  3:06

10.60(32)  3:08

Specifying LOSSLESS AVI export (from the toolbar) in version 10.57(64) took 30 seconds.

You can certainly test skipping the mp4 step.

Here is the solution to the problem.  It seems it must be some type of video discrepancy between pinnacle 23 and videopad.  I chose to use MP4's as an output to pinnacle 23 because videopad says it only see 640x480 because of the aspect ratio except for version 7.51.  I couldn't use any type of lossless output because I was converting AVI's to MP4 so the solution is to run the AVI directly over to the computer that's going to be doing the image stabilization and even though video pad sees it is 640x480 it image stabilizes it in 720x480.  I know this because I steal the image stabilized file in the temporary directory of video pad.  And the properties of the image stabilize file says it 720x480.

I've done this on my fastest workstation which has all the temporary storage done on a M2 SSD give me 3.5 GB/s transfer.  So that one hour file AVI took 1:10 on that single core workstation.  So the solution is solved thanks guys.