Music performance combining video from two sources

Chris SmithX

I have footage from two cameras of a school music performance. One camera has all the footage, and the other is from a cell phone, showing just a clip from a different angle. I want to add the cell phone footage to the main footage with a crossfade and then cut back to the main camera footage again.  So the key point is getting the footage synchronised. It's classical music with violin bowing, and some repetitive bits. The cell phone clip runs for about one minute, and the full footage runs for 3 minutes, so I need to place the cell clip at the right point in the main footage, so that what you see after the crossfade (to the cell phone clip) and what you hear (main footage audio) match up. How do I do this?

Place the main footage on track 1.

Place the cell content on track two and drag it into sync.  The audio waveforms may help line that up.  Then mute the cell audio if necessary (right-click to the left of the track).

Higher tracks override lower tracks, so the cell will be seen when the cursor reaches its start point and the main track will pop back on when the cell footage ends.

To dissolve into the cell click the f at the top-left of the clip and specify a duration.   image.png

Hi

Following Borate's  hints your timeline will then look a bit like this...

aa.jpg

• Main video on Track 1
  • Cut away video from cell phone on Track 2. This has a fade in and a fade out and the cut away sound on Audio Track 2 muted.
  • Sound peaks are lined up as close a possible.

Nat