Stabilizing 4K video

Rover

I'm using Videopad 8.45 Professional, on a pretty powerful laptop. Until recently I was shooting HD video, usually 5 minute projects made up of 1 to 4 clips. It would stabilize these in 10 - 15 minutes, and after editing, export them at high quality in about 3 minutes.

I just started shooting some 4K. I would expect it to be a little slower, but  mostly it is OK. It exports a 5 minute 4K video at high quality in about 6 minutes. However, the stabilization is a real pain. It won't stabilize a clip of more than 2 minutes - it just grinds to a halt. Even with a 2 minute clip it can hang for a very long time. This morning it did 95% of a video in 20 minutes and took 2 hours to complete. Currently it has been stuck half way through a video for 30 minutes, the progress bar hasn't moved at all. Looking at task manager, it is only using 50% of the pc memory and about 15% of the cpu, so it doesn't look like the pc is being stressed. Is this a known issue for other people? Are there any workarounds?

Please share a clip that has the issue and someone will check it out.

Have you changed any stabilization settings?  To what?

Upload to a free server (MS OneDrive, Google Drive, etc.) get a shareable, public (non-restricted) link and post that link here or to a private message via the envelope at the top-right of the forum window.

OK. I'll try to set something up tomorrow.

The only change to the setup I have made is to check "extrapolate colours into corner" - I have always done this. I choose "high quality".

By the way, the clip that was stabilizing when I wrote the original post started running again about 20 minutes later and completed in about 15 minutes.

Hi

The physical size of the clip in pixels may be a  factor limiting the speed at which stabilization takes place.The program add-on that does this (Virtual Dub) in essence looks at each frame and for each pixel or block of pixels determines the direction and degree of correction required to match that area with the same area in neighboring frames finally calculating the displacement required for that frame. This data is held for each frame of the clip. Once a pass has been made of the clip to do all this a second pass is made that applies all the calculated changes to each frame finally ending up with a selective zoom on every frame to remove black borders where displacements have been big enough to produce them. So with 4K clips there is an awful lot of data to manipulate.

It was interesting to watch the original virtual dub app working on the VD website  as all the pixel blocks and displacements were indicated by arrows and dots on each frame of the clip as the program ran. This was before 4K and HD clips, even then the amount of data to log all the frame  for alignments was enormous.

Nat