Online album database inaccessible

Bjeppson

Suddenly the program in unable to identify tracks and returns the error message: "The operation failed when trying to access the online album database. Check you are connected to the internet." I am indeed connected, as multiple browsers, email, and other programs show. I have rebooted, restarted, reinstalled, and still get the error. I am dead in my tracks and cannot go any further with my project. I have scores more CDs in my collection to archive. Help!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am having exactly the same problem! Purchased & installed licensed software on 2 days ago (12/6) and worked perfectly. When I tried to rip CDs yesterday and today, keep getting the same message. I'm definitely connected to the internet, don't know what to do now. I want to rip directly to mp3 format, but at the moment I can only use Windows Media Player and use Switch to convert the files, which is annoying and tedious. Also need help!!

Edited by PamelaM
Just wanted to put in a bit more information

This is more than a bug to fix for the next release.  The database link now goes to another website entirely. I paid for software based on a trial version that worked and now I feel cheated out of my money because I have to now go find other software to do the job. 

3 hours ago, N_C_H_josh said:

Thanks for reporting this. I'll file a bug for that issue with our development team, and it should be fixed in the next release. 

This is more than a bug to fix for the next release.  The database link now goes to another website entirely. I paid for software based on a trial version that worked and now I feel cheated out of my money because I have to now go find other software to do the job. 

I note Josh's reply, but when is the next release due? I have been using ExpressRip for quite a long time, and mine no longer can access the database either. For those like me who need the software to do a specific job (a weekly program on community radio in my case) there is a another free software called EAC (Exact Audio Copy) which can access another proprietary database called GD3. However EAC is free software but you have to pay for a license to access the GD3 database.

20 hours ago, Bjeppson said:

Feel exactly the same

..demo version worked well, as soon as I paid over 29 cd's coded not one had a name just track no # dissappointed

So...I followed the instructions given to me by DannR - did a clean install and deleted the cache of the program, restarted computer and reinstalled the program. Now I still can't access the database AND I have an unlicensed version! Can only hope that they will still refund my purchase cost

same as above there was a note awhile ago on google that Magix was withdrawing support for the database. if you are updating for a new release you perhaps need to point at another or allow users to choose their owntarget database  note on Wikipedea "freedb.org and its services will be shut down on March 31 of 2020".  

Edited by silverfox
additional information

Having exactly the same problem, loved the free trial version as soon as I paid for the full copy all I get is the track number. This either needs fixing or a refund. I haven’t the time to waste on waiting for the next release. 

On 6/15/2020 at 5:23 PM, N_C_H_josh said:

Thanks for reporting this. I'll file a bug for that issue with our development team, and it should be fixed in the next release. 

Got some new CDs that need ripping. When will this be sorted please?

I have a similar problem to what has been posted earlier. I believe that "freedb" is shuttered and no longer accessible.

For those interested you may check wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedb ) for history and present situation of freedb..

If the present software points to freedb, then it is useless as is. It may be correctable if a similar database can be found but it is definitely not a "bug". I would expect that another "version" would be necessary depending on the final database chosen. 

I have the same problem, even after I purchased the new version. Depending on the settings I choose in 'Express Rip', I get different error messages, including that I should make sure that 'Port 8880' is open. After some research, I found out that this port had been used by hackers and that a virus can hit your computer. In short, I use Microsoft Windows 10 with 'Edge'. The firewall does not allow access to any of the servers providing the CD track information. I simply type the information myself. A little time consuming, but I don't mind. While everything was still working I also got the wrong track information occasionally. You need to blame the people that enter the information into their servers, not NCH. Whether or not NCH can ever resolve the track info access issue on their end is questionable. We shall see.

5 hours ago, Roger Heid said:

I have the same problem, even after I purchased the new version. Depending on the settings I choose in 'Express Rip', I get different error messages, including that I should make sure that 'Port 8880' is open. After some research, I found out that this port had been used by hackers and that a virus can hit your computer. In short, I use Microsoft Windows 10 with 'Edge'. The firewall does not allow access to any of the servers providing the CD track information. I simply type the information myself. A little time consuming, but I don't mind. While everything was still working I also got the wrong track information occasionally. You need to blame the people that enter the information into their servers, not NCH. Whether or not NCH can ever resolve the track info access issue on their end is questionable. We shall see.

I got that same message about port 8880. I tried a lot of troubleshooting but nothing. 

9 minutes ago, Al Rose said:

I got that same message about port 8880. I tried a lot of troubleshooting but nothing. 

Well, there is no point in troubleshooting anything. The freedb.org has been shut down and is not accessible anymore. Express Rip has to switch to another provider. Above representative of NCH Software has already mentioned:

On 6/15/2020 at 6:23 PM, N_C_H_josh said:

So the big question is when the next release if going to be available :)

31 minutes ago, adorobis said:

Well, there is no point in troubleshooting anything. The freedb.org has been shut down and is not accessible anymore. Express Rip has to switch to another provider. Above representative of NCH Software has already mentioned:

So the big question is when the next release if going to be available :)

Thanks guys. I should have come to the forum first. Thanks for keeping us informed.