Can't reinstall / delete folders

cowboy

I was using Videopad v7.32, and suddenly it wouldn't initiate.  After several restarts and attempts to unistall and reinstall with lots of error messages, I had to use RevoUninstaller to clear everything out.  Now when I try to reinstall v7.32, it gives me the error message below....the same one it had been giving me quite often through the whole effort.  I'm at my wit's end, please help.

Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (86)\NCH Software\videopad\videopad.exe" Make sure you typed the name correctly, and please try again.

HI

Did you save the vpsetup.exe file to a particular folder on your pc.? This is the file you download from NCH and save when you re-install or install VP. It's not the exe file that runs VP. It normally comes into my download folder from where I generally move it to a specific folder that contains other versions of VP. 

On my system after running vpsetup.exe the VP programe resides here.... C:\Program Files\NCH Software\VideoPad\videopad.exe which is where you are trying to load from.

A couple of possibilities.

1. Either you haven't run the setup.exe to re-install VP
  2. You are trying to possibly run it from a shortcuut that is pointing somewhere else. So delete the shortcut (or don't use it) and do a Windows search for the setup file.

or download it again from NCH) and re-run it. It might be that you installed directly from NCH and didn't download the vpsetup file

Latest version...  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/versions.html

Older versions are here:    http://oldversiondownload.com/oldversions/

Nat

I've been running the downloaded files, and the ones you've linked to above.  They all do the same thing- they start to install, then that same error message pops up.  I click it away, and it pops up again.  I click it away the second time, then try to install again.  I just tried it with my antivirus turned off, still no luck.

Hi

There is something really odd here. :wacko:  Not sure what the (86) is referring to (perhaps someone will let me know) but here the target is just  C:\Program Files\NCH Software\VideoPad\videopad.exe

Nevertheless if you have deleted ALL references to VP from your PC (registry included) then a fresh download of the vpsetup.exe file from the NCH site should reinstall the program.

If all else fails why not do a Windows Restore back to a date prior to your difficulties?

Nat

The C:\Program Files (86)\ path is where 32-bit programs are normally found.  But not always.

Dropping back to a restore point when things worked is certainly worth considering.  In Windows 10, open the Action Center (bottom-right of window), click ALL SETTINGS and in the search box type "restore point."  Click on Create a Restore Point.  Click the SYSTEM RESTORE button and proceed through the prompts.

Remember that you will lose all changes and saved files between the time the restore point was created and now, so back up what you need beforehand.

Hi Cowboy,

Coincidently, I just experienced this identical problem with the exact same conditions and outcomes.  I'm using WIndows 10 as well.  I did figure out how to fix the problem.  Try the following:  Install the program as you have done before and just OK the problem statement when it recurs, as it will for sure.  Then, use Windows Explorer and go to the Program Files (x86) folder and find the NCH Software folder. Right click on the folder and press "copy." Then, exit the Program Files (x86) folder and go to the Program Files folder.  Right click on the Program Files folder and press "paste."  Then, find the NCH Software folder you just pasted and open it.  You will see the Video Pad folder in here.  Open it and you should find the "videopad.exe" file.  Double click on it and your program should open up.  For convenience, I later right clicked on the "videopad.exe" file and pinned it to Start so it is easily available.  I suspect that for some reason the setup process put the NCH Software files in Program Files (x86) folder when they shoul instead have gone in the Program Files folder.  It seems to me like just a path issue.  Let me know if this works.

I really appreciate everyone's help.  Sorry for the delay getting back to this, I had a couple of busy days.  I contacted NHC and they showed me how to fix it.  I'm going to summarize the instructions here for the benefit of anyone encountering the same problem:

Uninstall VideoPad, the delete 3 folders named "VideoPad" and one named "Components"  from these locations (if you can't find some of the folders listed, just continue on):

C:\users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\VideoPad

C:\users\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad

C:\users\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components

C:\users\Program Data\NCH Software\VideoPad

Restart the computer and reinstall the program.  Restart computer.

My folders didn't completely match up with the ones listed, but they showed me enough to know where to look.  Basically, I deleted every folder in those addresses that said NHC or Videopad.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks again for everyone that replied and offered help, it was much appreciated.

• borate changed the title to Can't reinstall / delete folders