Adjust sound within a section of a clip

CoachDarlene

This is a basic question, but I have evidently missed it in the tutorials.  How can I adjust audio within a section of a clip?  I have some  parts that are soft with one speaker - then it gets really loud with a group part speaking/singing.  I'd like it to be somewhat even when I render it and push it out.   Thanks.  I'm still learning VP  and really appreciate all the features.

Darlene

Hi

What you record is what you get in general however you can alter the volume level within a clip....

• Right click the audio track in question. It will display in the Clip Preview window it will have a blue line across the centre.
  • aa.jpg
  • Click the blue line  just before the point where the louder section starts. This will place a marker on the line.
  • Now click and drag the line down at the point where the louder section starts. This pulls the line down.
  • Now drag the point to the right a short way so the line is at an angle
  • Release the line
  • Towards then of the loud section do the reverse of these steps. The blue line will look now something like this...
  • bb.jpg
  • When played the section within the audio clip will decrease in volume and then rise back to normal. Note that the blue line is also shown on the timeline display
  • You can adjust the points (or add more) by dragging them to new positions.

Note that this process affects ALL the sound on the clip, it is not selective with respect to background and foreground sounds.

Nat

An alternate approach to consider...

Split the audio track sequence just prior to and just after each portion that is too loud.  This creates new clips within the track.

Select (highlight) all of those new clips.

Right-click the FX icon in any audio clip, then click EFFECTS.  Click the large green + sign and choose the AMPLIFY effect.

Draw a graph with the animation editor that looks something like this. image.png

The lower the line the lower the volume.            HELP for animation... http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/effects_animating.htm

If you want to apply this reduction to all the selected clips, click the 4th icon from the left on the toolbar.   If you don't, the effect will be applied only to a single clip.

You can preview the result while the effects editor is open, so changes can be easily made by dragging the keyframe dots.  The closer the dots - horizontally - the quicker the fade.

Using this method, the waveform monitor will not display the volume changes.