Generating closed captions

italiangen

VP has a subtitle auto-generator but it's not usable at this time, IMO.  There are numerous on-line tools that can handle this.

This one can create an SRT file to be be imported into VP, corrected where needed and formatted as desired.

If exported from VP with subtitles, they will be open captions.  But certain players, like MPC-BE, can also import an SRT file, and turn CCs on or off.

Thank you Borate.  I hope you and your's are healthy and staying safe.

I see that happy is a good tool and I have a question.  How and when should I run Happy?  I mean, if I load a recording into VPE, I assume I need to simultaneously run Happy as a separate app and somehow have happy listen to VP's playback in order to get the timing right.  Then I would import the SRT file onto VP video track as an overlay.  Do I have this right?  Or is it that I can export the audio track from VP and load it into Happy and then place the SRT onto a separate video tract as an overlay?

In the future, will VPE allow this Happy or other API to be attached to VPE?

I'm sure that I'm confusing terms here, sorry.

PeterD

Can't say what VP will offer in the future, but it's likely that the voice-to-text feature will be improved.

As for on-line apps, just upload your video file.  No need for VP at that stage.

With 'Happy', after processing there's an option to create an SRT file, which then can be imported into VP or a viewer like MPC-BE.

In VP drop the source video onto the sequence, then click the SUBTITLES button on the toolbar that's under the HOME menu.

Click FILE in the subtitles menu bar and LOAD SUBTITLE FILE.  Find the SRT and import it.  Under the Format tab font, alignment, color, size changes can be applied.

Captions.jpg