Getting Errors from VideoPad with FireWire

Russ Croucher

I have a business of transferring videos to digital using several different methods.  Several years ago when I started the business VideoPad did not have the best way to transfer FireWire.  So I used a version of Pinnacle.  That procedure has stuck for several years and I decided that it's time I try VideoPad again.  Pinnacle was requiring me to retrieve the data in its AVI format and because of a bug in VideoPad I had to use a particular version (v7.51) to receive the AVI in 720x480 mode instead of 640x480.  I submitted 2 different bug reports and so far they have fixed one of them.  Under some weird conditions possibly with errors on the tape it would default to 640x480.

So now I have taken my HP 620 workstation with 16 cores running Windows 7 to read the FireWire with VideoPad v8 18.  I have tried 8.35 but backed off to the version I know works for other things.  Once I know they fixed my other bug I've submitted I will update to the latest version.  When I use pinnacle on a different computer than the one I've done the testing (I have collection computers and processing computers), it seems to work fine except I have to load in that old version of VideoPad 7.51 to convert the file to MP4 once so to work with image stabilization.

When I use VideoPad 8.18 read the FireWire I get the following error after 10 seconds. If I stop the play button and hit the play again before the 10 seconds it will start playing again.

"Device error, it may be used by another application"

If within that 10 seconds start the play button I will not get the error until after I stop the display after 10 seconds.  I have actually started a recording process it would record the entire FireWire video and then produce the error afterwords.  At first I thought this was a pinnacle error but now I have realized it is associated with the FireWire driver from Microsoft I think.  That's why I specifically took the computer that has never seen Pinnacle and automatically when I plugged in the FireWire the for the first time Windows7 automatically install drivers before it would work with VideoPad.  Then once the drivers have been installed VideoPad sees the unit has a Microsoft DV device.

I'm submitting request from you guys and see if you have any help for me. I was a software engineer for 30 years before I started this business. It is nice to be on the other side of bugs. I have tried this error in all versions of VideoPad from 7.51 all the way up to 8.35.

Russ

I would be glad to help.  I have at least 3 legal versions.  Just tell me what you want to do.  It seems that pinnacle it ignores the error and if that's possible maybe that would work.  I'm just tired of reading the file in in writing it out just so I can use the image stabilization.  And so far only been able to get to work on version 7.51 reliably at 720x480.