Formatting subtitles

simonsays

Hello,

I was wondering, does VideoPad have a way to format the width of the .srt subtitles imported?

I have subtitles, but some of them are so long, that they exceed the width of a video. Is there a way to limit the line width? It's just super annoying to go through a 30 min video and format every single sentence manually.

Hi

Not sure if there is an easy way. Can't see one if there is. You could load the srt file into say, Notepad and then add a new line into the subtitle texts  so they are all a suitable length. (just the long ones. You can do this visually for all the long texts in one session. if you then do a save it remains an srt file. Obviously where you add a new line to shorten the long texts it creates two (or more) subtitle lines in the video.  Have a play and see if that might work.

Alternatively use the S/T format (All subtitles) option to reduce the font size. Might work.

Nat

6 minutes ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

Not sure if there is an easy way. Can't see one if there is. You could load the srt file into say, Notepad and then add a new line into the subtitle texts  so they are all a suitable length. (just the long ones. You can do this visually for all the long texts in one session. if you then do a save it remains an srt file. Obviously where you add a new line to shorten the long texts it creates two (or more) subtitle lines in the video.  Have a play and see if that might work.

Alternatively use the S/T format (All subtitles) option to reduce the font size. Might work.

Nat

Thanks for the reply, that gave me some ideas!

That would be a nice feature, since there is some formatting already.

I can loop through .srt file programmatically using a PHP script (did not realize that this was just a text file), I just thought that there is something that works out of the box.

Hi

Example before any formatting in Notepad...

aa.jpg

One you have established the maximum number of  letters you need across the screen (at the font size you have set up) just do a  New Line (Enter) at that point in the long lines....

bb.jpg

You can pretty quickly run down the page "new lining" any long lines to match the earlier ones. remember that each new line produces two subtitle lines.

Just Save when finished. (Not txt!)

Nat