Upside Down and Backward Editing

NIck M

I am converting an 8mm film from 1952!! Obviously, the file is very old and some of the sprocket holes on the film are bad causing the video to become jittery.  If I run it through the converter backwards and, necessarily, upside down, it catches the good side of the sprocket holes.  Now, I have a video converted backwards with a reversed image.  I have no problem running the new video in reverse, but is there any way to reverse the image as well so that signs, for example, do not appear reversed?

Thanks!

Videopad effects include FLIP, which can right your video.  And a right-click on a clip will offer a Reverse Clip choice.  There are also SCALE and POSITION effects.

A right-click on the clip in the bin lists a Stabilize choice.  The stabilized file will replace the original in the bin, but the source file will not be changed.

Click Video Effects on the HOME tab toolbar to invoke the effects configuration box.  Or right-click a clip, then click the large green + sign to see the choices.

Use the latest VP version.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using Wolverine MovieMake Pro.  The problem I had with the film is that front half of some of the sprockets were damaged.  That caused the film to wobble.  By reversing the feed, the good side of the sprockets were fed through and the wobble corrected.  Borate, that worked!  Thanks.

Nat,

That was the original way I tried to do it several years ago and the quality was a disaster.  Because of the self-quarantine, I started digitizing slides (Using a Wolverine product) and then movies.  I've been very happy.  The digitizer lets me adjust the frame, zoom in a bit, etc.  It takes a photo of each frame and then saves the frames in an mp4 format.  Then, I can do additional editing in VideoPad.  Also, Wolverine's customer service was wonderful.  I had a problem with the slide digitizer and they immediately shipped me a new one with a postage paid slip to return the other one.  Do you know if it is possible to tag people in the video like I can with Adobe Bridge?  That would make searching my 89 clips much easier.  Otherwise, I'll go through each one and ID the people and places and build video clips to share with the children of my parent's friends.  If you are willing to wait a while, I could sell you mine.  

Nick

Hi Nick

Thanks for the info. I've seen some YT videos re. this machine but got the impression it was being withdrawn to rectify some faults. (This is the reel to reel machine). I have to agree setting up the projector and camera in line etc and adjusting projector speed is a bit of a phaff and not having adjustable Gain on the camera means that areas in the copy are either too dark or overdone or sudden changes in film lighting cause the copy to momentarily over expose etc.  The results weren't too bad but I also have to re-run the film to copy off the sound stripe at the adjusted speed. So I may invest in one and use the projector to get the sound off. VP can take care of the timing.

Anyway...tagging people... Not sure about Adobe bridge but..

You can do this with VP but you write the tags yourself...

First way is to simply write a text image with the name; scale it down or use a smallish font then place  it with the Position effect...

aa.jpg

If you want, you give the text a coloured background in the editor

You can also use the Speech Boxes or similar clips from the NCH

• Right click the clip bin and select Add Images from NCH Clipart Library
  • Select Speech Bubbles
  • Choose from the list...e.g. Rectangular Bubble left
  • Click Download
  • Drop the bubble onto the overlay track
  • Position and Scale to the correct size.
  • Add text as above and Position on the bubble.

bb.jpg

The text goes on Video track 3 so it overlays the bubble.

There are other possible ways but they are all similar to this.

Nat