Combining and switching between video tracks

DeckchairBaz

Hi,

As I'm in lockdown I decided that me and my band should record a song, and some video, independently and then join all the results together. I have mixed the song, we've recorded video to it, and I've imported it as an audio track. I've got 4 or 5 video tracks that I have aligned with the audio track. That's great and I find Videopad quite intuitive to use, but is it possible to show sections from each video track, swapping between them, bearing in mind they are synced with the audio and I don't want to have to sync tiny portions of video - I would like to keep the 5 video tracks as they are, all aligned with each other and the audio, but switch between them, only showing one section at a time.

I'm sure your software can do this and there's a concept I haven't grasped yet. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John

Note that the higher video tracks will play over and hide tracks below them so the top track is always the one that is seen. If you haven't done the swapping during editing (which is really what should have happened,) and the sequence you see in preview is in synch then the first thing is to Save Project As giving it a recognizable name. This gives you something to come back to if things go drastically wrong. In fact as you proceed to change things repeat Save Project As regularly using another name.

Now If you want to swap a section from lower track where it is hidden you need to move it up, so split out the section you want. Use the track options associated with the Split button under the Sequence Preview pane and only split the track in question.  Drag the section you split vertically up to the next free track. You can move the cursor line to the first split and use it to align the section you decide to move. It will now play over the lower ones. This will leave a gap in its former place but leave this alone as it will be hidden, and closing it will probably alter the synch.

If you're still not sure come back and we'll try again. Remember, you can easily restore your project if you have Saved it.

Nat

OK, for "Project file" read "Project" or "sequence" - what I'm saying is that the exported file is quieter than running the sequence in Videopad itself, so I can go through all the sections of the audio track increasing volume on each, but is there a setting somewhere that will increase the volume for the export?

Cheers,
John

No such setting.  The NORMALIZE audio effect in VP should help to obtain the correct volume for export.

The gain of the exported file is a function of the player.  Use its or Windows controls to change it.

In the pic below note that there are separate sliders for the clip in the player (MPC BE) and Videopad.

To open the Windows 10 sound panel right-click on the speaker icon at the right-bottom of the desktop and then on Open Volume Mixer.image.png