4 piece split screenlooks good on preview, is a mess in export

ThijsM

Hi everyone.

I've been trying to make a split-screen with 4 videos.

4 videos taken with a phone in portrait.

I've scaled them and placed them horizontal in line in one screen and synch..

In the preview it looks perfect, but when I export its a mess...

the 4 videos are different in scale and half on top of each other.

I've tried many different export sizes etc but same result every time.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Tough to troubleshoot unless folks here can check out your project.  Let's have a look.  It's easy, takes little time, and can be private.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material link it in a personal message (PM).  Click the envelope above.  It won't be passed on or retained.  Use FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Hi

Difficult to advise without seeing at least one of the clips (or 4 different ones).

Assuming you are wanting to arrange these side by side on the screen then depending on the actual image position and  assuming you have the image 16:9 portrait centered in a horizontal 16:9 frame like the image examples below, one suggestion is..

• Switch into Dual preview modes in Options/Display as both views make it easier to see what is happening.
  • Place Clip 1 on Video track 1....Clip 2 on Video Track 2....Clip 3  on Video Track 3 and Clip 4 on Video track 4 so they are one above the other. (I have used colored backgrounds in this example.)
  • aa.jpg
  • Monitoring what you are doing in the Sequence Preview screen Starting with Video Track 4 Use the Crop effect to to outline the image area in  each clip. The background to each frame will become transparent.
  • bb.jpg
  • Now starting with Video Track 4, use the Position effect to move each image to the required position. In this example only three clips can be positioned side by side with there current width as the screen is not wide enough for all 4 clips....
  • ccc.jpg
  • If you cant get them all to fit in the frame from side to side like this then you could Crop the sides a little more if possible or use Position to overlap them a little.... 4 clips may then just fit.....
  • dd.jpg
  • Note that you might think you could scale each down more but that effect controls the whole image frame and not just the image area.

An alternative which is quicker but has no controls regarding size is to Crop the images as above and then to add a Horizontal 4 in line  Split Screen effect to each clip .......

ee.jpg

Other matrix (like 2 x 2) may not work in a satisfactory way with this image format.

Nat