aspect ratio

mowitzer

AR can be changed on individual clips in the bin.  Right-click | CHANGE ASPECT RATIO.  Click one of the choices and a drop-down list will display the options.

If the clip is on the timeline, click the fx button to bring up the effects box.  Click the large green + sign.  Scroll to the Aspect Ratio section and make your choice..

Even doing the change in the bin is still changing all the clips. So if I make a still to fit then the videos are getting black bars at top. The weird thing is, in the free version I wasn't having this problem but when I paid for the program it all changed. Yikes.  Not a computer guy.   FX button?

Shouldn't make any difference whether it's the free or the paid version.  What version # is it?  Try installing the latest version..

ONLY the clip that the effect is applied to is affected here - the others remain as is.

For example...

1.  Click the fx button on any clip, in the bin or on the timeline

2.  Click the big green + sign

3.  Click the letter box Aspect Ratio choice

4.  Choose an A/R from the drop-down box

Testing with mixed video and still images and applying the A/R change to either type, the selected clip alone snaps to that aspect ratio.

Are you running Windows or a Mac?

Clicking VIDEO EFFECTS in the toolbar will bring up the effects box directly - no need to click the green +.

The fx route to that effects box is the button at the bottom-left of each clip on the timeline.  When the window opens click the green +.

image.png

Scroll down in the effects box.  There's an Aspect Ratio Transforms section as shown above.  It contains three choices.  After making one of those choices click the chevron at the right of the words "Auto Aspect Ratio"  to see the drop-down options.

image.png

I get that, it's just not working for each clip, still changes all clips. The crazy thing is I had the video done last night and it worked fine but this morning when I opened it, it would get stuck on a video frame but the movie would keep going. Making me just a tad nuts. Now it's doing this nonsense and I'm going a tad nuts.

Again, what version - Mac or Windows?  Did you reinstall?  Unable to replicate the issue here.  You can submit your project for inspection.  It's not difficult.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

It is a windows. It is sensitive material as it will be going to a girlfriend. Not totally sensitive, some part are, but nothing I care to share. I will try a video with normal footage to use for inspection. Thanks for your help. I did find the original video but it reverted back to the problems I'm having now. I'm laughing because I'm so pissed at myself. I'm an old artist whose brain has a hard time wrapping itself around new technology.

Hi

".... I'm trying to find out if I can change the aspect ratio for individual clips. Right now I am using still photos with some video.However if I change the aspect ratio on one clip, it changes it for all clips. ...."

This is perfectly possible as Borate describes. Obviously if your timeline consists of separate clips/images the effect you are seeing should not happen.

But my question is..Are you wanting to get all the clips/images to the same AR  (e.g. 16:9 ) because they are different to start with and you want to get rid of black borders that are inevitably present?

If this is the case then it is quite easy but it means that some images/clips will have to be cropped down the required AR and then scaled up to fit in the VP frame. For those clips/images some of the area will be lost. If you still want to see the whole clip area and not crop then the only way is to stretch it...probably not the best option.

If this is the case and you don't want to stretch anything but have all the timeline the same AR  do this for each clip/image......

1. Move the Red cursor line to the start of the clip/image
  2. Click the FX box at the start of the clip
  3. In the Effects window click the large green + at the top left.
  4. Select the Zoom effect. This places a rectangle on the Clip preview screen.
  5. Click the down button on the Restraint option
  6. Select the required AR from the drop down list. (e.g.16:9
  7. Adjust the size and position of the rectangle in the clip preview window so as to outline the area of interest. The rectangle will remain 16:9. If the clip is already 16:9 then nothing need to be altered; it will appear in full frame.
  8. Close the effects window. This effect will only affect the clip in question
  9. Repeat for the next Clip/image

When played now all the clips treated will be full frame images with no black border or bars.

Selecting a different AR to 16:9 will introduce borders or bars. (but all clips can be made identical in this respect without any stretching.)

Nat