Low Quality on Preview Window

skyfly

What version of Videopad is being used?

In the latest preview quality is determined by the monitor's resolution and is very acceptable.

In earlier incarnations, resolution could be adjusted via the right-click menu in the preview window.

Upload a screen grab and post the link here.

Well I don't know what versions it is. Ok its' version 5.54. And my monitors are great! There gaming monitors. There is nothing wrong in that aspect.

Well I just downloaded the new version of Video Editor at 39.95 and it still looks like crap.

Man I gotta tell you this, sucks. Why is the quality so poor? It only gets "good" if I maximize the entire screen! But then I can't see anything to do anything. It should be perfect even when it's small. Ok I I can't figure out what you mean by "screen grab". I looked it up and for whatever reason hitting ctrl + PrtScn isn't taking a picture. I have a picture of it with " greenshot " you got an email I can send it to or something.

I can't figure out how to do what your asking as far as the picture goes. Was watching something about "TinyPic" went to their website and it's shut down lol. How can I send you the picture?

The latest VP version is 7.53 (Windows).  You certain that's what you have?  Preview looks just fine in every version tested here.

There are a number of ways to capture the screen.  One is the Windows Snipping Tool.   Click START (button) and scroll down until you see it.  Use it.

Then open an image viewer, like Wiindows Paint and paste with <ctrl-V>.   Save the file and upload it to a free server.  Then paste the link here.

More info...

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

Hi

One way to grab the screen is to simply press the Ctrl with Print Scrn keyboard keys. This places a copy of the screen in memory. (Although this is not obvious). Open a suitable graphics package and then use Paste as a New Image. (or similar) The contents of the memory dump should now be displayed from where it can be saved in a suitable format. (Obviously it may have to be compressed and this will obviate the purpose of copying it :unsure:)

If  it is the preview you think is poor then.....

• Load a hi res image to VP and drop it on the timeline. This example here is a 4480 x 2520 image.  (A video clip might not be entirely suitable for this as individual frames may show motion blurring. ) 
  • Undock the window to display it in a bigger screen.
  • Right click the enlarged window  and select the option Take snapshot of Sequence. (In earlier versions VP this option may be seen below the window.)
  • Select a suitable resolution (e.g. 1920 x 1080) This copies the sequence image to the clip bin but also places a png copy in the default folder you have set up in  VP Options/Disk
  • Here is a typical result
  • Snapshot - 1.png
  • Upload that image to a server and supply a link as in Borates instructions.

Note: if the original video (or image)  has a low resolution in the first place then it may in fact look unclear in the preview window and worse when undocked and enlarged. As a matter of interest what is the resolution of the clips you are using?

Nat

4 hours ago, borate said:

Upload the source file, please...not a picture of the file but the original graph itself.

I don't even know what you mean by that.

What are you talking about a "graph"? It's not a graph, it's a picture of it looking poorly. What you talking about?

This is really ridiculous. You guys outta have a dang email someone can email a picture too. I mean good grief we have been going back and forth here. I know you're thinking well it's "my fault". But I don't what the hell your talking about. This is just stupid. Someone should say, " HEY SEND THE PICTURE HERE " to help this guy out, which is me! Now I'm going on YouTube finding people who have the program and asking them. This is just stupid though. Someone SOMEWHERE should have a damn email I can send a picture to and it not be a whole ordeal.

And why can't you use that link? I clicked on it just fine and it came right up.

The preview window shows an image of a graph.

You say "it's a picture of it looking poorly."  Instead of a picture (a screen grab), please upload the source png file so someone can load and test it.  It's not difficult.

How to include a link to screenshots (or any file) in your forum post:

Upload the file to Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, etc. Copy (share) the URL and paste it into your post here.

The resolution of the image that you have linked looks reasonably normal here - both in the OneDrive window and when downloaded and displayed in an image viewer.

Hi Skyfly

The VP sequence image looks reasonable here........

ccc.jpg

Bearing in mind that THIS screenshot image (in this post above) is a copy of YOUR screenshot image that I downloaded. However despite that, the VP text/labels on buttons and tabs  etc are quite clear so it's pretty representative.   IMHO the contents of the sequence window  looks OK

A thing to bear in mind is that if your graph image is actually HUGE and SHARP in its original form...e.g. 4480  x 2520 , it has to be reduced in size when used in VP.  In effect it's a low resolution  copy that is used in the preview screen and this in itself will make it appear less clear than a full size image.  (Although, as I said, this sequence preview screen area doesn't look bad) The original image resolution is retained in the cache and it is THIS image that is used during export.

If the image was big and if it was left at full resolution (but squashed up for preview in real time,) it would slow down the playback enormously which would be unacceptable. (Visions of nothing but  Waiting for Preview messages.... :))

In old versions of VP you could set the resolution of the preview screen but due to changes related to caching speed and replay speed the preview resolution was changed to a fixed intermediate value. (Can't remember exactly what though.)

How big IS the graph image you have used? ....

If the resolution was moderate or low the preview might not look that sharp when undocked but OK during editing.

e.g.  Low res (224 x 126)  and high res (4480 x 2520)  images side by side  in the sequence  preview window......In my opinion both are acceptable and shouldn't prevent editing. ...and which is which? 

Although the Hi res image appears marginally  clearer obviously as it has only been reduced in size to fit the preview resolution. The lo res image has been enlarged by VP to fit the VP frame and has suffered more but the difference is minimal

yy.jpg

Even so they are usable.

Undocked of course the difference is easily noticeable...

xx.jpg

The answer most probably to your problem is to use as high a resolution as possible to ensure a clear export result but preview is limited to a fixed resolution.....but even a small , lo res 224 x 126 image should look OK.

Undocking  the preview to Full Screen I believe uses the full resolution of the original but as well as covering the editing screen, playback in this mode will be VERY chunky if the images are big.

Nat