How to properly overlay a picture of a different size than the video resolution?

Deni42

Hey Everyone!

I have a huge problem with overlaying pictures in Videopad. I always lose a part of the pic as I want to move or move and resize it.

I made a very short video illustrating my issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q20eRfzgOY&feature=youtu.be

I would like to have a method that allows me to simply insert any kind of picture of any size and resolution into my video, and place and resize it freely anywhere on the screen without losing any part of the pic.

Thank you very much, every help is greatly appreciated!

Deni

Hi Deni

".... allows me to simply insert any kind of picture of any size and resolution into my video, and place and resize it freely anywhere on the screen without losing any part of the pic. ..."

There shouldn't be a problem with this. Use Scale to resize your overlay image and then Position to place it.

So...

• I like to see dual preview screens myself but the sequence preview is where you see what you have. (See image below)
  • Place the main Clip/image  on Video Track 1
  • Place the overlay clip/image on Video Track 2.  The size/resolution/AR  of the overlay does not matter. If the overlay is 16:9 it will cover completely the clip on Track 1. If it has a different AR then you will see some of the underlying clip/mage.
  • Click the FX box for the overlay clip on Track 2.
  • Select Scale effect from the list. Scale just reduces/enlarges the image/clip inquestion. It does not crop or in any way lose part of the image.
  • Tick the AR restraint to prevent the image being stretched and then slide the vertical (or horizontal) slider to the left to reduce the overlay image in size. (e.g. to 0.5 which will reduce all the image to half size.) If you have the red cursor line positioned across both tracks you can monitor the result in the Sequence preview screen. The overlay image will however, remain in the centre.
  • Now click the Green + in the Effects window and select the Position effect.
  • Select Track2 and grab the reduced image in the Clip preview window and drag it to the required position. If you have dual displays set up in Options you can monitor the result. As in the image below

Here is a 1/2 sized image placed on the left of a larger image.....

aa.jpg

The limitation to your conditions with this is if you are ENLARGING the image or moving a reduced image out of the frame partially . This logically "cuts" off some of the image, If you feel this HAS to be done (i.e. if your subject matter within the overlay is too small and you feel you have to enlarge it then Crop the image first to isolate the subject matter followed by the Position effect...

Here are the same clips but the Cat has been cropped to isolate the eye area and then positioned at the lower left...

bb.jpg

Hope this answers you question.

Nat

Unable to duplicate your issue here.

What version of Videopad is being used?  Here is the latest.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

Please share your project and someone will analyze it.

Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT, and don't forget to share it.

Hi Deni

Still not sure regarding your problem...:mellow: from your video clip it seems you want to overlay the facebook text image on top of the Beast man image.....(to the left of the man). Is that correct?.

So,  first.......

If your main image is not 16:9 at the out set..(i.e. is it a vertical image. say from a camera..like on the left, you will need to "extract" the image..

aa.jpg    Apply a ZOOM  effect to make it full screen     ccc.jpg

Keep it 16:9 if you can. (Looks about that.) Place this on Video track 1.

Whatever the size/AR etc of the Facebook text image,   from your video it looks like it should be usable as you have it. i.e. It's not on a background. (If so you may need to crop it.)  So place this on Video Track 2 above the clip on Track 1 It may entirely cover it for a start but it's not a problem.......

ee.jpg

Now apply the SCALE effect to the facebook image  on Video track 2 to reduce it to a suitable size...You can monitor the result in the Sequence Preview window on the right (Dual previews are set up) Use the sliders but maintain the AR.....

ff.jpg

The overlay should now be somewhere in the centre and the main clip should now be visible. Now add a POSITION effect to move the facebook text to the required place......... (You can also do this with the Black spot control in the Scale effect window  shown on the right above but using the  Position effect seems more intuitive..)

fff.jpg

The result is shown above.      Does this now work for you?

I think your problem might have been  the intitial AR of your Track 1 image. It may not have been full screen or in a vertical format and consequently dragging the overlay to position it put it outside the frame of the main track image. Anyway, try the above scenario and see how that pans out..

Nat

The

OMG! IT WORKS!

It was the version! I updated from your link it as you said, Borate, and now it works what you recommended, Nat!

Gosh... This problem seemed to devour my nerves, and now you've solved it for me!

Thank you so very-very much, I can barely express how grateful I am! It means so much for me, now I can continue working on my YouTube channel without this drawback!

Thank you for your selfless benevolence!