Adding video effects to several clips

John Olsen

It's certainly possible.  4.30 is very old.

Try the latest.  If you paid and registered your version, retain the installer.  It's usually found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\VideoPad"

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

I select all clips on the timeline by pressing Ctrl-A. After that I click on the icon named FX on the first videoclip (1) to select a videoeffect, in this case 'Croos Fade'.

The effect is only added between clip number 1 and 2, and not the clips after number 2.

In earlier version I experienced a window popped up, where I could select that it should be attached to all the clips. This doesn't happen.

Hi

Versions 7.xxxx

1. Select all the clips
  2. Click the FX on any clip
  3. Choose the effect
  4. Set parameters for the effect
  5. Click Append effect chain to other selected clips ............(7th button along at top of effects pane)

aa.jpg

All the selected clips will now get the effect applied.

The option was also available in earlier versions in that I think you selected your clips and then added the effect via the Effects button on the top toolbar. (The effects pane did not have the options 6&7 if I remember rightly) Clicking the top toolbar tab  then presented you with the option to add to all the selected or just one you clicked the FX on....This is no longer there in the latest version.

Nat

Thank you for your reply. I tried, but I don't think it works for the Cross Fade effect, because when I select the Cross Fade effect the effects window close without the possibility to click on 'Append effect chain to other selected clips'.

I think it is because there are no parameters to the Cross Fade effect

Crossfade isn't an effect, it is a transition.

Select the clips.  Click the transition button on the toolbar.  Choose CROSSFADE.  Click the box at the bottom of the window and choose APPLY TO SELECTED CLIPS.

VP_trans_select.gif

If there is no transition button on the toolbar, go to OPTIONS|DISPLAY and check the SHOW CUSTOM tab.

Then, click on the CUSTOM menu tab followed by the CUSTOMIZE button on the toolbar.  Check the TRANSITION box.

Hi

You are correct....Crossfade does appear in the list of Video effects.  .........

aa.jpg

Crossfade/Fade/ etc are indeed classed as transitions and perhaps shouldn't be listed here. 

Selecting the fades from this section of the effects window menu  does not activate the option to apply it to all the selected clips. In fact here on several occasions , with 7.30 VP has crashed when these Fades have been selected..... This happens here when  Fade out is selected.............

bb.jpg

Nat

Right!  Forgot about CROSSFADE in effects - which is essentially a transition.  For applying it to multiple clips use the toolbar transition icon, as outlined earlier.

That said, once APPLY TO SELECTED or ALL is chosen in that manner, thereafter using crossfade in the effects box also applies to selected or all.

No crashes on Fade Out here in 7.31.