Can no longer change image duration via dragging handle

Arthur S

Hi,

All was good with my sequence. I had images & videos. I could grab the right border of an image & stretch its duration. Then VideoPad crashed when I was adding some audio. When I started it again it wanted to update to v7.3. (Sorry - I can't remember what version I was on before - but I had started several times over the last 2 days & never got this message before - I would have assumed I was already on the latest version). Since then, all my images have gone to duration of 0:00:00:100 & I can no longer grab the right handle of an image & change its duration. I also cannot do this via right click & selecting properties as its all read-only. Thanks for the help.

A single click on the image in the bin, a double click on the clip in the sequence OR a right-click on the sequence clip|CHANGE DURATION will launch a  box under the preview window.  Change length there.

Dragging should not be disabled.  Assuming that you have saved the project, restart Videopad with no content.  Under OPTIONS menu|DISK tab, Clear Unused Cache Files.  Then reload your project.  Always use SAVE AS, not simply SAVE, with a unique name or #, so as to not overwrite earlier versions.

image.png

Thanks borate. I tried all those things without success. I get an error msg "end time must be before end of clip". I rolled back to previous version - v6.22 and all is good again - I can edit duration as normal. Hmm. Then I updated again to v7.3 & got same problem again of not being able to update duration no matter which method I try. I'm doing something pretty stupid that I just can't work out - or v7.3 bug?

Please share your project so others can analyze it.  Here's how...  http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

If it contains sensitive material you can link it in a personal message (PM) to me, via the envelope above.  Be sure to FILE|SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS, not simply SAVE PROJECT.

State which clips you are attempting to lengthen.

Hi

First check the default still image duration in File/Options/Media     There should be a default value entered say, around 4 or 5 seconds.

Load your images/clips

Go into Storyboard mode. All the clips/images should now be seen irrespective of their duration as "slides" . Under each "slide" is the duration (which should be the Options default value mentioned above.)  If you now click on these values a box will come up into which you can enter the required duration. This should then be visible under the selected "slide" The timeline updated accordingly.

Clip duration however, cannot be extended this way but it is possible to enter a lower value which in effect will speed up the clip.

Does this help?

Nat

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply. Just tried your suggestion and yes - v7.3 works with jpegs.

I would not have thought to try that. I did try v6.22 again just now and gifs definitely work in v6.22 but not in v7.3. Photos are always jpegs so I guess no big deal when I do a slide, to use it as a jpeg. 

Thanks again - Arthur 

Hello again,

I don't want to take up anymore of your time as I have a way forward with jpegs for slides. But, I thought I would share with you some further info. Below is a shareable link. In it, contains 1 gif, a v6.22 project & a v7.3 project. I also have a PDF with screen shots. When I drop the gif into v6.22 it takes on the default duration of 5 seconds as set in tools/options/media and I can shrink or stretch it by the various means of doing this - most commonly grabbing the right handle of the gif in the timeline view.  When I drop the same gif into v7.3, it has a duration of 100 milliseconds & I can only shrink it - I cannot stretch it more than 100 milliseconds. 

As you mentioned it maybe something odd with my gif. I created this new one in the file below today via powerpoint then saving as gif. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18G49TfQUA7e1qW4lqyYLeayZ4V-oM8-6?usp=sharing

Thankyou

There's something about the nature of that gif that hints it may be non-standard.  A developer would have to analyze it.

When saved as a jpg, then resaved as a gif, it opens with the default duration in 7.30 and can be dragged.

Top graphic - your original.  Bottom, the resaved gif.  Note the file size difference.

image.png.de8c7f6c3126fbe309f2c91d63e192f7.gif

image.png.7c33b10db346c48f97c74f2c50fa746a.gif

Hi there,

I tried that gif - yes it does work in v7.30. You've been extremely helpful. I thought I was going mad yesterday as I had almost completed the project - got the upgrade msg - then it wouldnt work anymore. Tried lots of things & read the community forum but couldnt find anything. You seemed to find the answer very quickly whereas I was lost for an answer. I can now complete the project. 

Thanks borate & NCH. Well done!

Hi

Note that with earlier versions of VP,  gif images are seen as CLIPS in VP and as your gif image is a SINGLE image VP sees it as a SINGLE frame of a CLIP and posts it to the timeline as an image of very short duration. (1/60 or 30th of a second etc.)  I haven't checked this out yet with 7.30 but you may have to convert your gifs to jpg images. (Animated gifs should load OK but may not play correctly if individual frames of the animation have different durations. )

Nat