Black Bars Boogaloo

MCJ97

Hello.

I am using VideoPad and imported some footage that is not 16:9 pixels. I tried to zoom in to crop out the black bars, but it instead had the footage move into the black bars. I tried to use the "Scale" effect, but that didn't work either.

This has been happening since I got the newest version. Older versions were easy enough to get rid of the black bars.

Any solutions?

Hi MCJ97

Here I am presuming you want to retain or obtain a 16:9 AR.

Here is an example with bars to each side as the clip is 640 x 480....

aa.jpg

You can make this 16:9 using the Zoom effect....This will eliminate the black bars at the expense cropping the height of the clip....

Set the restraint to 16:9 and set no keyframes. Just adjust the size and position of the zoom rectangle to outline the area of interest....

bb.jpg

The result is a 16:9 filled frame with no bars.......

ccc.jpg

You can also choose Crop to Aspect Ratio effect from the Aspect ratio Transforms section. This option however will only (automatically)  centre the cropped area. .......With the Zoom effect you can position the rectangle at any point.

Is this the result you are after?

If you want to retain the full image then in the Preview screen under Aspect ratio, select Match Content. This will remove the black bars....

dd.jpg

Use the same setting when exporting.

Nat

Hi

Note that using "Stretch to Aspect Ratio" will remove the bars at the expense of distorting the image. With small bars this may not be noticed.

You can also achieve the same result with the Scale effect if you un-tick the Maintain AR option (you may not have done this) and then adjust either the Horizontal or Vertical  sliders or the corner handles of the adjustment rectangle in the Clip preview screen. (Top right for Width or bottom left for Height......Bottom right maintains the current AR whilst the dot positions the rectangle.

Nat