v7.11 Preview Format Settings

mediafunfan

I am having problems with a very erratic playback display. The cache is emptied when VP is closed and I try limiting use of other applications while running VP.  I would like to try a lower resolution and frame rate in the Preview Format Settings in v 7.11 but can't find where to do it. The Options/Display has no obvious provision for this.  Can anyone help please?

Hi

In VP 7.11 click the double chevron at the right on the main toolbar. This will open the Videopad Options screen.

Failing this,  click the green  Menu tab at the top left of the screen, and select Tools and then Options. This will also open the Videopad Options screen......... Preview format and Frame rate can be set here......

aa.jpg

On the Display tab (Opened by default) you will see the current  Preview format. (Here it is 768 x 432) If you click the down chevron to the right of the Preset box you will open a list of possible settings ..........

bb.jpg

Choosing one of these will set the resolution for the Preview screen in the GUI

If VP is slow, jerky  and repeatedly showing "Building Preview",  reducing the preview screen resolution may help. At the same time if you check the Processor utilization box in the Task Manager and find it is continually 100% when VP is running and around 50% when idle check for any background jobs.   e.g. I am working with an old Vista machine and had this problem until I noticed the PC was running Vista Microsoft updates in the background. There are no updates now so I turned this off and everything returned to normal....1 - 2% when idle.

Nat

Thanks Nat, I realize that I should have said I was using  v7.12 which doesn't have the resolution and frame rate settings. Earlier another tech had me try the beta version to see if it would fix another problem. I reinstalled v7.11 and will try lowering the Preview Format. I've already learned to shut down my browser and any other resource sucking programs while I'm editing video. 

Thanks again

mediafunfan

Hi mediafunfan

"..... I realize that I should have said I was using  v7.12 which doesn't have the resolution and frame rate settings. ....."

That answers in some way your query. Yes. In VP 7.12 Beta, a pre-release version whose development is still on going,  does not have the Option to alter the resolution of the preview window which, as I understand it, has been fixed at a middle value. There is  now a new control  under the Sequence preview screen that will allow the user to set the Aspect Ratio of the display . VP then  fits the project image to this AR at the resolution the developers have chosen.......

aa.jpg

The aim I think is to speed up and streamline the caching process which is why the suggestion was made for you to give it a try.

Nat

Hi borate,

Ok, if I understand it right from your last post, if a video is edited with 7.12 then it should be exported with 7.12?  I have a licensed copy of 7.11, should I go back to using 7.11 or continue using 7.12 and wait for an updated version? If so, will I have to buy a new license for 7.12 when it is released to the market? I hope this makes sense. 

Thanks,

mediafunfan

Wise to edit/export with the same version.  Technology changes constantly, as you know, and unfortunately backward compatibility isn't always assured.

If you are a registered user, upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, your purchase will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the latest.  Retain the licensed installer file, though it should be automatically backed up on the PC.