Problems with crossovers in VideoPad

Masaihtt

Hello, everybody,
I have problems inserting crossovers (or ist it called transitions in this context?) between single inserted MP4 movies.
Unpleasant noise and distortion occur when you select the "Move clip for overlapping transition" option, they do not occur when you select the "Still image at start/end of transition" option. This noise can already be heard when playing a sequence in the Timeline or in the Clip Preview and is unfortunately also exported.
Exactly this option of the transitions is important for my projects and therefore these disturbances are unacceptable for me and I hope that there is a solution for it.
I tried it on different computers, reinstalled the software several times, but the problem remains.
Do you have an idea?
Best regards

Matthias from Germany

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Hi

If things are working correctly the "Move clip  for overlapping transition" method should overlap the audio tracks for the length of the transition. Clip 1 fades out to the END of the transition and Clip 2 fades in from the START of the transition.

If you choose the "Freeze frames at start/end of transition" there is no overlap of the audio tracks....Clip 1 fades out as far as the JOIN and clip 2 fades in from that point.

As your sound problem seems to occur with the first method but not the second it may be that it is being produced since both tracks are playing at the same time.....one fading out and the other fading in.  In the second method they play one after the other..Fade out then fade in.

As an experiment unlink the audio for both clips and then drag the audio of the left hand clip down to audio track 2 and then under audio track 1 a short distance. Both tracks will now play together (mix) Is the noise/distortion still there? (You could also click each track in turn and in clip preview drag the blue volume line down to create add a fade out for track1 and a fade in for track 2) This should simulate the overlap crossfade. If you still get your noise/distortion I would say it's being produced by the combination of the tracks and not necessarily VP.

Nat

Thanks too for your proposals, Nationalsolo:
yes, after I have dragged an audio file onto a new track, there is no more noise/distortion. But: for this to work, I have to remove the link between the video and the audio and this means that there is no automatically overlay between the audio files. So each time I have to fade in and fade out the audio manually and i have to move the audio file back to fit the video. That's too much work if I want to put for example 40 smaller videos together.
In addition, I expect a paid program to do these basic things (that even work in some freeware without problems) without having to use complicated workarounds.

Hi Masaihtt

It was only a suggestion to see if the overlapping soundtracks (as happen when you use the crossfade transition with the Move clip option)  is causing the problem.  I didn't mean it as a work around. :)

As I mentioned. using the Move clips option with the Crossfade transition shortens the overall timeline and as well as overlapping the video, it also fully overlaps the audio, and that is where you seem to be experiencing your problem...i.e. .when you play back over  the transition with one track fading out and the other fading in. I agree that this shouldn't happen. Indeed it doesn't in the tests I have done here with various clips having different sound.

Try Borates suggestion and upload a short section of the project around a transition (or two) where the effect you notice happens and someone will take a look (and listen)

Nat

Okay - here is a link to a testproject, so you can hear the noise at the transitions yourself - or not, which would be very strange 🙂
In the meantime I have noticed that the sounds can change - they appear at the same transition times more times less.

And here is a link to a small audio file of another project, which I recorded with my mobile phone on my PC to document the noises. At 3 transition points the disturbances can be heard. And these noises are still moderate, there are more violent sounds...

Hi

Having downloaded and played through your video.....I am 99.9% certain (actually 100% certain) that the strange noise you are hearing in the first and second transition is the sound of a cockerel getting ready to crow and not a VP sound defect. 🙂   If you play the start of Clip 2 (MOV05317) you can clearly hear it croaking. (Not an unusual sound to hear where there are chickens) . I presume there was a cockerel nearby??  It is just a coincidence that it occurs where the transition is. The clicks and rustling sound and squeaks  are just  due to the camera being handled or moved during filming. Microphones in some cameras are extremely sensitive and will pick up all sorts of extraneous sounds.

In the second transition the chicken noise is clearly heard at the end of Clip MOV05317. and again it just happens to have occurred at the point you made the transition. (You can hear the offending bird at 14 seconds into this clip and actually crowing elsewhere.(4.44).

It is interesting that it happens exactly as your circle expands in the second transition. You can however easily trim of the sound by dragging the white brackets that appear at the join.

Nat

Hi Masaihtt

That's really odd as your short sound clip does not appear the same as the transition in your project. (Sounds a bit like whale clicks...You don't have an aquarium nearby??? :D.)   I have no idea why the sounds are different. Someone else might come in on this thread and give their opinion. As I see it (and hear it) your project is playing OK.

Nat

Probably the whales have flocked together and are just trying to start the first hacks for a large attack, are very intelligent animals 🙂

But seriously: it is quite strange... If there is no solution here in the forum, then I hope that I get the money back from NCH, because Video Pad is not usable for me like this...

In your audio samples, digital noise was evident at the transitions.   Not on the final product, however.  Your project had two blank clips at the end when viewed in Storybook mode.  It's not obvious why.

Reworking the project, each file was placed on the timeline by itself (no others).  Viewed in Storyboard mode, each had a .01 blank clip at its head.

When all three were dropped onto the timeline there was no blank between them, but instead a lengthy blank at the head.  That was removed, using the f button to specify a zero duration fade.

With overlap mode the default, circle wipes were programmed at each transition.  The wipes are seamless and no digital noise can be heard.

Click

Hi

That is  even more strange!....Yes the audio clip did have some odd sounds but seemed to be enhanced in some way..(?High pass filter applied??) but I loaded the project from the downloaded Test.vpj file. and got 5 clips on the timeline, the last three being sections of MOV05319.  Couldn't see any blank clips and Storyboard mode started with MOV05262 and showed just the clips that were on the timeline.   

1. MOV05262.MPG     4:37
  2. MOV05317.MPG     2:45
  3. MOV05319.MPG     0:37
  4. MOV05319.MPG     0:12
  5. MOV05319.MPG     0:16

There were 5 sec transitions between Clip 1 /Clip 2  (XFade) and Clip2/Clip3 (Circle). These all looked correct. I couldn't find a blank clip anywhere. Cleared the timeline and added the clips manually one after the other. (Placed using menu option  not  dragged & dropped) I couldn't find a blank at head of project either. Sound track seemed normal also with normal volume level line from start to finish. 

Listening carefully to the clips playing, there is a faint (very faint) purring sound here and there (a bit like gear wheels running) behind the obvious and much louder farmyard noises but it is hardly perceptible and may ?originate within the camera..... This might have been the odd rapid clicking heard in the short audio clip you uploaded and which I thought might have been enhanced in some way.... otherwise I can't find anything wrong with this project....Sorry! :mellow:

It would be interesting to hear a sound clip from the camera, set on a tripod; not touched  and filming a perfectly silent scene.

Nat

First of all thank you for your detailed review and feedback.
I think I've now discovered (but I still can't understand it) that only the movies I made before years with an Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini are affected by these disturbances. Movies i made with my Samsung Galaxy S7 don't cause any problems (but i will verify this next days more exactly).  And what I also noticed: the noise sound alone can be heard at the transition even when I mute the audio of a movie.

borate: When I press the F key, nothing happens. How can I (if it's necesarry) specify a zero duration fade another way?

Hi

" ....And what I also noticed: the noise sound alone can be heard at the transition even when I mute the audio of a movie...."

I understand from this you are muting the track with the Mute button at the far left.  The other mute buttons just affect individual clips.

Here the project is COMPLETELY silent with the TRACK muted as one might expect..

Nat

I had muted the individual clips.

Okay, and now I've definitely confirmed the reason for this noise for myself: my daughter has another old S3GalaxyMini - so yesterday I made 2 identical video recordings with both the Mini and my GalaxyS7: in fact, the transitions on the S3's movies are with noise, the transitions on the S7's movies are not.
Now may understand that technically who wants to, but I certainly don't. Maybe one of you has an idea.
I'm going to add the "Still image at start/end of transition " option to the old recordings now and everything is fine with new recordings.

Have a nice weekend, everybody, and thanks 🙂

• 2 weeks later...